Author Topic: One size too big  (Read 3440 times)

Offline Squeamish

One size too big
« on: May 15, 2008, 01:54:23 AM »
Forgive me for jumping in here and posting before I read and learn much, but I just got my new bocks and the sooner the better chance I'll be able to exchange them so I thought I'd ask the question first.

I got my new bocks a few days ago, and have barely learned to walk with them.  After reading that one is advised to get one size larger for maximum performance, I went ahead and got one size up, since I really hope to get into this sport.  I tried jumping while holding on to a fence, but I was barely able to jump 2 feet off the ground.  The springs were barely compressing.  I feel that if the springs were slightly softer, I'd get a lot more bounce.

I weigh 86 kg.  I got the size designed for 90-100 kg.

My main objective with these is running as fast as possible, not jumping.  Would you advise me to attempt to exchange my bocks for one size smaller (the size designed for my weight, 80-90 kg), or is it better to stick with my current size and learn to use them?  I'm certainly willing to put in the time to learn how to use them properly, but I'd like to know now if I should be exchanging them before they're too well worn to exchange.

Thanks for the advice!

Offline Sx Nutta

• Elite Member
  • No Brains Required
Re: One size too big
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2008, 02:21:48 AM »
Stay with the size you have got, you have only just got them, and will take some time to get use to, and to break in, then you will feel the difference, as you will also start to build and use a right technique that works for you

Fire is good!
But Fire is better when you are spinning or breathing it!
Burn Scars are for life!
Chicks dig dudes with cool burn scars!

Offline Athoul

• PJF Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2008, 10:13:33 AM »
You chose the correct size.
Don't expect to be jumping 6 foot overnight, i've been bocking since October 2006 and I'm still not getting 6 ft of air.

As you say you have only had them a couple days and you can hardly wak, you shouldn't be expecting to be able to get amazing height straight away, everytime you go out your technique will improve a bit and within a month or so you will have got the right technique and your height should improve.

You said you were getting a couple feet and the spring was hardly compressing, this is a good sign as it shows that there is a lot more potenial energy left so once you learn how to harness it you should be getting much better height.

Hope this helps
If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room!

Offline Reon

• Reon the little Bocker
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2008, 11:40:53 AM »
my first was 50s and i was only 5 i cudnt get any smaler  now i 7 i have 40s well cool but they are stil strong for me  mum said i am growing in to them     so you shud grow into yours  good luck
Reon, the little Bocker, age 7.

Offline Squeamish

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2008, 12:32:48 PM »
Thanks for the advice!!   :banana:  I'll keep what I have and try to learn how to do it right.

Offline theonlysilenthunter

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2008, 01:30:06 PM »
A harder spring also is better for running!!! I think Spud has found that out now she has harder ones....

Offline Spud

• Mod
  • Elite Member
  • Yeah! I'm a waffle!
    • EA Bockers
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2008, 05:27:43 PM »
A harder spring also is better for running!!! I think Spud has found that out now she has harder ones....

Mine were way too squsihy!! Hard for running, easy for jumping (but get no height). I have also been on rache's 90s. Very hard for jumping and running. I reccomend getting the right weight for you. 10 kg over at least and if you are very good more.

:spudT:

Offline Brendan (NeoNinja)

• Elite Member
  • Martial Arts Bocker eats Win-a-bix for breakfast.
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2008, 06:09:29 PM »
Also, they'll charge you for returning them >:( Postage both ways!
Everyone's dreams sit aloft a rungless ladder. Some ladders are higher than others. Some are so tall they reach high above the clouds - but everyone can see their dream. Most people see that their ladder has no rungs and although they may talk about climbing it one day, seeing no way to get there, they eventually give up and settle for what lies beneath it.
      The brave however, the wise, the imaginative and the strong of will seek out their missing rungs. They learn all they can about the ladder, they surround themselves with friends and family who would also find the rungs, and failing all else they craft the steps themselves with their own two hands from nothing. Sometimes a rung breaks and the person falls. Some of these people will fall too hard and lose the strength to climb again - Yet they feel comfort in knowing they tried. They became better for it. And they experienced things and witnessed sights upon the climb that those who sat forever beneath it will never know.
      Then there are the special few who find new steps, or fix and climb again the ones that failed. Who eventually, through sheer tenacity and courage come to reach the final rung - Only they will have their dreams fulfilled. The extraordinary then build new ladders. These are the strongest people of all.