Author Topic: Bocking Vs. Knees  (Read 11005 times)

Offline hypermalac

Bocking Vs. Knees
« on: November 03, 2008, 11:12:40 PM »
Hello there!

I'm planning to buy a Stilt, but when I saw the videos I saw that there is a huge "shock" sometimes when you reach the ground. I'm 22 yrs now, and when I was a child ( aroung 14-16 ) my knees was weak, by minor injuries, but nothing serious. Nowadays I play Ice-hockey and do Kitesurfing, and Inline skates, so my knees are OK.

My Question:
May Slilt "damage" my knees, or how hard that "shock" when you reach the ground? (eg.: after a front flip)

Thanks in advance.

PS.: One more Q: what about Fly Jumpers? I know that they are come from the same factory, but is there any difference?
Planning to a buy Bocker :)

Offline Spud

• Mod
  • Elite Member
  • Yeah! I'm a waffle!
    • EA Bockers
Re: Bocking Vs. Knees
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2008, 11:21:55 PM »
I think the shock you are describing is the spring compression. Unless you get way too strong springs for yourself or dont strap yourself in right they should be fine. The biggest problem with knees and bocks is hyper extension and twisting on falls.

PS.: One more Q: what about Fly Jumpers? I know that they are come from the same factory, but is there any difference?
So many questions like this this week. There is no difference. well the logo and name on the calf pads and the fact with projump you have the choice of calf cuffs and pro bindings.

:spudT:

Offline Locky

• Elite Member
  • I only like people who are nuts.
    • Welsh Bockers
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2008, 11:24:57 PM »
For what its worth, I dont bock unless i have gym supports on my knees. I feel its a little (not much!) preventative method and also gives a little padding around the knees.

Get you're technique sorted and you're knees should be fine however I fear as time goes on for this sport, we'll discover more and more about long term knee damage from bocking :S

Dark Knight

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2008, 12:09:22 AM »
The lower leg is held in place ( great for me ) but the knee will take some of the impact ?
The weight of the stilts will mean the knee may need a surport bandage, there are a couple of bockers who use/need them.
There is a shock when you hit the ground hard but the spring absorbs most of that and as long as your build up your bouncing slowly you'll know how much you can push your knee.
Don't let a bad knee put you off bocking is great fun and can help with posture, back and leg alignment. This may even help with any knee problem you may have and future ?

Wearing safety pads is also a good idea  :thumbs:

Offline zendalfire

• StiltModZ.com
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2008, 01:08:51 AM »
I never had any problems with impact on the knees, except the few times I fell over on them wrong.  I did have problems with my back however.. my springs were too high a rating for me, and I bocked too often and too long; 7 days a week is way too much.  One must be careful to keep your back straight when landing, and when walking for a prolonged time - a 5 hr bocking session is a bad idea  ;D

If you go ahead, make sure to get the proper spring rating, wear pads, and don't overdue it :)

Offline hypermalac

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2008, 07:08:02 AM »
Well thanks for all your replys. It's good to see such a good team like this.  :D

Spud you wrote this: The biggest problem with knees and bocks is hyper extension and twisting on falls. What is 'hyper extension' means? I'm Hungarian, and I'm a lack of knowledge of injuries names in English  ;D

By the way I mean this "shock": http://www.getflyjumpers.com/manusflyjupo.html

If you look this video from 1:48 to 1:52 theres a "shock" after the front flip on the impact. And I saw more like this when you would like to stop the bouncing method. So if I wear an extra knee bandage and got properly srtapped it should matter?  :-\

Thanks for all your help  :Straddle5:  ;)

Dark Knight

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2008, 07:39:43 AM »
"hyper" would mean greater than so hyper extension would mean " to bend the knee great than it should " ( bend in forward ).

It would be some time before you try that sort of trick and like I said as you build up to that you'll find just how much you can push your knee.

Offline hypermalac

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2008, 08:59:20 AM »
Thank you for the fast reply  :)

Now I'll read through the whole forum, ask Q's if I have any.  :biggrin:

Really thanks for the helps!

Offline Spud

• Mod
  • Elite Member
  • Yeah! I'm a waffle!
    • EA Bockers
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2008, 09:46:33 AM »
36000 posts..good luck  :biggrin:

But yes, read then ask. In your defense we have had 3 questions the same as yours this week and I have never seen them before so you were a bit unlucky really  :D

Most of the answers are here, if there is anything we can help with after feel free to ask. If it turns out you were being a numpty you will just get link  :nana:

Hope you get bocking soon  :thumbs:

Offline chocl8

• EA Bocker
  • Elite Member
  • Ready for Backflip?
    • EA Bockers - It's in the Springs!
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2008, 07:05:48 PM »
Just my 2p, but i also have weak knees from rugby and hockey, especially ligament damage that never really healed very well. I thought i would have far more problems than i have done with bocking, but so far (fingers crossed) no major injuries! :)

Offline hypermalac

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2008, 11:49:30 PM »
Just my 2p, but i also have weak knees from rugby and hockey, especially ligament damage that never really healed very well. I thought i would have far more problems than i have done with bocking, but so far (fingers crossed) no major injuries! :)

I dont really know, but maybe I have the same kind of knees like yours. What about long term bocking? Example after several hours are your knees hurts or something? Did you had any kind of minor injuries?
I'm afraid because I dont really would like to damage my knees, and I believe all guys here, and it's good to hear that someone maybe same weak knees doing this sport, and thats why I'm asking too much about it.

Offline chocl8

• EA Bocker
  • Elite Member
  • Ready for Backflip?
    • EA Bockers - It's in the Springs!
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2008, 05:53:54 PM »

I dont really know, but maybe I have the same kind of knees like yours. What about long term bocking? Example after several hours are your knees hurts or something? Did you had any kind of minor injuries?
I'm afraid because I dont really would like to damage my knees, and I believe all guys here, and it's good to hear that someone maybe same weak knees doing this sport, and thats why I'm asking too much about it.

I don't blame you for asking! Knees are really important to look after. I have been bocking for close on 2 years now, usually for a couple of hours at a time, but a few 6+ hour days, it has never been my knees that have hurt the most, always muscles etc. Only injuries i've had from bocking have been bruises/grazes, and possible minor concussion from a backflip gone wrong. No knee injuries :)

My theory is that bocking, in terms of your knees, does not require much twisting (it was my lateral ligaments are dodgy), unless you land awkwardly. Twisting has always done my knees in before. When you bocking, there is not much knee movement, but you do have to watch out for landing badly, especially hyperextension etc.

Offline ricky35

• Welsh Bockers
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2008, 06:16:13 PM »
watch out for the hips too ;)

bocking is a high impact sport which can be bad on all parts of your body...had to spend about 5 weeks off bocks because of me hips :(

ive started to stretch now cos i dnt want it to come back ;)

<a href="http://www.welshbockers.co.uk/signature.swf" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.welshbockers.co.uk/signature.swf</a>

Offline hypermalac

« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2008, 06:47:52 PM »

I don't blame you for asking! Knees are really important to look after. I have been bocking for close on 2 years now, usually for a couple of hours at a time, but a few 6+ hour days, it has never been my knees that have hurt the most, always muscles etc. Only injuries i've had from bocking have been bruises/grazes, and possible minor concussion from a backflip gone wrong. No knee injuries :)

My theory is that bocking, in terms of your knees, does not require much twisting (it was my lateral ligaments are dodgy), unless you land awkwardly. Twisting has always done my knees in before. When you bocking, there is not much knee movement, but you do have to watch out for landing badly, especially hyperextension etc.

Well, the last 2-3 days I've read a lot of bocking, and it sound like it's less 'dangerous' as I thought. I mean the injuries, I know that this is a very dangerous, but in an other way. I hope you understand me  :rolleyes:

HELL I LOVE YOU GUYS !!! You're are really helpfull. :thumbs:

I'm going to try out one 'Fly Jumper' at the next week, and then I would like to get my own.

How about Fly Jumper vs. Sky Runner? I know they are from the same factory, and I have only this 2 choice to buy.
Somewhere I read here that theres a little difference between the stilts. BTW 'Fly Jumper' is 172 GBP while 'Sky Runner' is only 119 GBP, so theres a bit high difference. :o
Advices?  :rolleyes:

Offline Spud

• Mod
  • Elite Member
  • Yeah! I'm a waffle!
    • EA Bockers
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2008, 06:53:17 PM »
Sky runners are not the same as fly jumper. Sky runners can be of poor quality and are illegal. They also have no warranty.

Avoid them if possible. You can get good pairs but you can also get really really bad ones.

Dark Knight

« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2008, 07:09:57 PM »

Well, the last 2-3 days I've read a lot of bocking, and it sound like it's less 'dangerous' as I thought. I mean the injuries, I know that this is a very dangerous, but in an other way. I hope you understand me  :rolleyes:

HELL I LOVE YOU GUYS !!! You're are really helpfull. :thumbs:

You'll find that most Bockers a real friendly bunch and will help a fellow Bocker when ever/how ever they can.

Offline hypermalac

« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2008, 07:25:43 PM »
Sky runners are not the same as fly jumper. Sky runners can be of poor quality and are illegal. They also have no warranty.

Avoid them if possible. You can get good pairs but you can also get really really bad ones.

So I should stick with Fly Jumper. Okay,  :D

Offline Charlie B

• Elite Member
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2008, 07:26:08 PM »
I have some  minor knee problems mainly from being a sports person and inflicting damage by training.

I wear McDonald Knee supports. They have steel hinges in them that help you to not hyperextend your knees.

In my experience the impact force is lessened as the springs take the shock so no issue with sore knees.

However your core must be strong to ensure that you do not twist too much. I have found that my lower back and hips are the main areas that are sore after bocking.
Grow old disgracefully

Offline hypermalac

« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2008, 08:10:55 PM »
I have some  minor knee problems mainly from being a sports person and inflicting damage by training.

I wear McDonald Knee supports. They have steel hinges in them that help you to not hyperextend your knees.

In my experience the impact force is lessened as the springs take the shock so no issue with sore knees.

However your core must be strong to ensure that you do not twist too much. I have found that my lower back and hips are the main areas that are sore after bocking.

Well my cores are strong enough as I didn't get any injuries in my knees for 1 year, but I'm doing sport constantly, so I think it will not be a problem, and it's very satisfying to know that.
After a lot of replys I can say that I totally calmed down about my knees ;)

Charlie I saw You're doing it at the age of 49, and I got amazed. Well done  :thumbs:
Anyway my father is interested too, so as I can get on my own bocks I'll show it to him, and who knows maybe we will join us  :biggrin: He's at the age of 44  :rolleyes:

Offline Spud

• Mod
  • Elite Member
  • Yeah! I'm a waffle!
    • EA Bockers
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2008, 08:54:52 PM »
Charlie isn't even the oldest  :biggrin:

Offline Charlie B

• Elite Member
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2008, 09:44:59 PM »
Have fun on your bocks and get your dad to try his luck. You are never too old to try something new. Havingsaid that I still have not mastered getting up and I will be able to jump onto the Red Cubes by our next gym meet  :banana: flips are going to take a little longer
Grow old disgracefully

Offline rickbicker26

« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2008, 10:26:47 PM »

Charlie I saw You're doing it at the age of 49, and I got amazed. Well done  :thumbs:
Anyway my father is interested too, so as I can get on my own bocks I'll show it to him, and who knows maybe we will join us  :biggrin: He's at the age of 44  :rolleyes:

:o clives 49 he doesnt look a day over 72  :nana: lol only joking clive

Dark Knight

« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2008, 10:37:56 PM »

:o clives 49 he doesnt look a day over 72  :nana: lol only joking clive
Really ! He doesn't look it ...... did once  ! :biggrin: Another bad joke Clive  :thumbs:

Offline sprog

• Elite Member
  • Not enough time in the day to bock anymore...
    • The Jurassic Jumpers
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2008, 12:18:20 AM »
I've only just seen this topic on my RSS feed so please excuse my lateness in providing advice...

From the age of about 12 to 17 I had various problems with my knees, mainly something similar to osgood schlatter's (it was never explained fully what it was, other than "similar") along with just generally weak muscles in the region. I started bocking at 17, which was 2 and a half years ago. Since then, my knees haven't exactly improved in terms of pain or annoyance, but they certainly have not got any worse and they are definately a lot stronger than they were. The worst I've done is a few hyperextensions, but my legs are used to that anyway just from walking and running on foot, let alone bocking.

The fact is, I know my legs are pretty crap. I was put on physio for 5 years and it never helped one bit, and was never changed when I stated it wasn't helping. Since I started bocking, I essentially gave up the physio but bocking has not made my knees any worse. It's high impact, it's obvious there's going to be the occasional accident involving your knees because of the way you wear bocks, but it's no worse than any other high impact sport, and the shock from bottoming out mainly goes to your back, not your knees.

Offline hypermalac

« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2008, 07:15:08 AM »
the shock from bottoming out mainly goes to your back, not your knees.

That what I was afraid of. I thought it mainly goes for the knees, not your to your back. Good to hear that.
Hyperextension is when you tighten your knees way too strong in the stilt? What if I leave it too loose? I think it's the same bad way, am I right?