Author Topic: Starting my muscle training  (Read 6337 times)

Offline aidanh1

• Elite Member
  • KATIEE :D <3
Starting my muscle training
« on: November 28, 2008, 11:08:18 PM »
Hey guys many thanks to everyone dat helped me figure out how to find out about leg excercises and helped me out about how to do stuff :D

today i started my leg building im doing 3 sets of 12 squats wif a small weight will progress as get better obviously also doing 3 sets of 10 crunches and im doing 2 sets of 10 of these things were dangle off end of a bed and raise ur upper body using ur back muscles soon i will be bocking again :) AND.... ive got a job menain money money for bocking events and i can go to meets to XD  so the world of bocking ent heard the last of me! :D

i carnt spel... or maybe you cant read ;)

Offline Charlie B

• Elite Member
Re: Starting my muscle training
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2008, 10:57:24 AM »
Well done on getting started now comes the hard bit of keeping going. You will get results but over time not immeadiately. Also need to ensure you are eating properly and resting properly to build the muscle.
Grow old disgracefully

Dark Knight

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2008, 11:30:59 AM »
Keep us updated on how your going and feeling will help motivate go.
When you look like the hulk don't start kicking sand in little boy's faces !

Offline Foote

• My myspace
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2008, 09:13:20 PM »
Well squats is really a core-strength excercise.  And, is a high-weight lift.  At 15 years old; weighing 135 lbs... I was squating 305 lbs max 1 rep..working out 3 sets of 8 with 225 lbs; 3 days a week.  That was for football (american)...and squats were a core-excercise like I said.   A little weight probably won't help much...because you use your whole body pretty much when you squat; if you are doing it right.   Be sure your feet are square with your shoulders; toes pointed forward; back straight; chin up.  Then when you go down go until your thighs; knees; and butt are parallell.  Any further can be murder on your knees.   And don't just fall down go down slow; DONT STOP at the bottom; and come back up slow in one smooth motion.  This is the proper squat.  And I 'd say even the weakest person on the planet over the age of 13 should be able to squat at least 135 lbs if they know how to do it right.

If you want an excecise that would aim more directly at improving you on stilts..I'd guess Leg curls and leg press. See this pic for the press:

As you can see, his legs are kept more straight; like when bocking.  When you squat..your legs will go outwardly in a way that is the opposite of how they will be in stilts, like this:

(that is a TON of weight, btw)

As you can see in the pics...in comparison..the first guy looks like he'd make a good bocker.  Agile-"kangaroo" like muscles.  You see, he has probably been doing leg presses, leg curls, and running a lot. Developing appendecular-strength.  While the second guy, the squatter, has been powerlifting (squats, deadlifts, presses) developing CORE-body strength. It is apparent in the way their bodys are shaped.  The second guy is built to be a perfect american football player. The first guy is your go-to bocker.     So, thats why I advise looking at other excercises for strength then squats...

I'd very highly reccommend the leg press as it would work the muscles essential to Power-bocking.  Like I said about squating, it is more of a core strength thing.  These leg presses will make your vertical sky rocket; and high rep leg curls will increase your stride strength.

Have fun :)
« Last Edit: December 14, 2008, 09:20:59 PM by Foote »

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2008, 09:26:48 PM »
If you end up like that guy above your gonna have trouble getting bocks Aidan  :haha:

You'll have to get DK to build you some with 3 springs on each  :haha:

Jason  :Hoofies2:

Offline English-tailor

• Elite Member
  • Piste off MoFo's
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2008, 07:17:22 AM »
I go to fitness bootcamp 3 times a week, I would suggest this work out for your legs

30 x squats -no weights
30 x lunges
30 x box jumps
30 x burpees

and repeat as many times as you can in 30mins without taking any breaks if possible.....good luck :haha:

Offline Greggles

• EA Bocker
  • Elite Member
  • BOCK IT AND ROCK IT
    • www.eabockers.com
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2008, 02:27:57 PM »
speaking of this is there a way of building my broken leg muscle back up to what it was as i can already tell it has gone to nothing im gunna were my ankle weights on it while i walk around but is there a way of just doing 1 leg on a weight lifting thing coz it will bug the hell out of me not having matching legs lol

Offline chocl8

• EA Bocker
  • Elite Member
  • Ready for Backflip?
    • EA Bockers - It's in the Springs!
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2008, 02:50:50 PM »
No offense to the people doing strength training, but i feel technique is far more important, bocking wise =]

Offline English-tailor

• Elite Member
  • Piste off MoFo's
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2008, 05:27:47 PM »
No offense to the people doing strength training, but i feel technique is far more important, bocking wise =]

You are right in that technique is important, as it is with most sports. If you look at most other sports people train for them using the gym, why should bocking be different? Working out your core muscles & leg muscles can only improve not hinder your peformance. Now if you take ballet as an example, a good ballet dancer has to have good technique. In order to have good technique they repeat a series of execises to build up their muscles on a daily basis. Without conditioning the muscles they cannot hope to improve their technique.
Dont dismiss it just because you feel its not worth it.

Offline chocl8

• EA Bocker
  • Elite Member
  • Ready for Backflip?
    • EA Bockers - It's in the Springs!
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2008, 05:46:11 PM »

You are right in that technique is important, as it is with most sports. If you look at most other sports people train for them using the gym, why should bocking be different? Working out your core muscles & leg muscles can only improve not hinder your peformance. Now if you take ballet as an example, a good ballet dancer has to have good technique. In order to have good technique they repeat a series of execises to build up their muscles on a daily basis. Without conditioning the muscles they cannot hope to improve their technique.
Dont dismiss it just because you feel its not worth it.

On the contrary, i used to do training for sprinting 3/4 times a week ;) This involved all sorts of core exercises, especially usuing my legs. I had to go through physio for the liagaments in my knees as well, so i do feel they are worth it, and i believe it is good. However i haven't been to the gym in 2 years, i weigh 62Kg and i love my S-rex X's, which i compress mainly on technique, not strength ;)

Offline Spud

• Mod
  • Elite Member
  • Yeah! I'm a waffle!
    • EA Bockers
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2008, 06:17:17 PM »
Training wont ever hurt, and the strength will help with things. You could just build your strength up by bocking but what this topic was initially about was building muscles up slowly after an injury.

Most of you know after a soft tissue injury you are actually weaker after. I think it a very good idea for aiden to build up his knee muscles before he bocks again. He doesn't need to be super strong or any stronger than before, just as long as they are not weak.

After he has built up the strength in his knees so he is less likely to injure himself doing "normal" bocking he could work on his technique, which would also be helping his strength.

If you haven't been injured then you can skip the gym part. Technique is more important but if you have been injured then having a normal amount of strength is important. It doesn't do any harm if you haven't been injured either.

I bet you built up the strength in you knees before you went back into full blown training right? The physio I am guessing was part of it.

:spudT:

Dark Knight

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2008, 06:45:41 PM »
Then when you go down go until your thighs; knees; and butt are parallell.  Any further can be murder on your knees.   And don't just fall down go down slow; DONT STOP at the bottom; and come back up slow in one smooth motion.  This is the proper squat.  And I 'd say even the weakest person on the planet over the age of 13 should be able to squat at least 135 lbs if they know how to do it right.

If you want an excecise that would aim more directly at improving you on stilts..I'd guess Leg curls and leg press. See this pic for the press:

As you can see, his legs are kept more straight; like when bocking. 
He's not even trying !?

Offline Foote

• My myspace
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2008, 06:28:55 AM »
That guy is probably about to squish himself.   :-\

Dark Knight

« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2008, 07:38:32 AM »
No I didn't.

Offline English-tailor

• Elite Member
  • Piste off MoFo's
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2008, 09:24:32 AM »
Then when you go down go until your thighs; knees; and butt are parallell.  Any further can be murder on your knees.   And don't just fall down go down slow; DONT STOP at the bottom; and come back up slow in one smooth motion.  This is the proper squat.  And I 'd say even the weakest person on the planet over the age of 13 should be able to squat at least 135 lbs if they know how to do it right.

As you can see, his legs are kept more straight; like when bocking. 
He's not even trying !?

not that million year old pic again........

Offline Foote

• My myspace
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2008, 10:39:11 AM »
No I didn't.

Is that you? And if it is..did you actually press it or just hold it up?    Holding up that weight isn't such a big deal, but letting it fall and getting it back up would be ahem...very amazing.  How much weight is that...?  I cant tell if those are 45 lbs or 100lbs plates. If they are 45 lbs..thats still gotta be atleast 1,000 lbs...and over 2,000 lbs if those are 100lbs plates.  >.>

Dark Knight

« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2008, 01:15:18 PM »
No I didn't.

Is that you? And if it is..did you actually press it or just hold it up?    Holding up that weight isn't such a big deal, but letting it fall and getting it back up would be ahem...very amazing.  How much weight is that...?  I cant tell if those are 45 lbs or 100lbs plates. If they are 45 lbs..thats still gotta be atleast 1,000 lbs...and over 2,000 lbs if those are 100lbs plates.  >.>
I could do one single push but I don't think many could even hold that !?
Each plates on the sides are 25Kg and the top ones are only 20Kg and the machine is 40-50Kg.
I normal did just 300Kg and do a single leg calf/ankle stretch

Offline Foote

• My myspace
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2008, 04:18:28 PM »
No I didn't.

I could do one single push but I don't think many could even hold that !?
Each plates on the sides are 25Kg and the top ones are only 20Kg and the machine is 40-50Kg.
I normal did just 300Kg and do a single leg calf/ankle stretch

Well...I mean this isn't really a maxing-type machine..and I'm sure everyones max on this would be pretty dang high...but even still 300kg is a lot  >.>

Offline sprog

• Elite Member
  • Not enough time in the day to bock anymore...
    • The Jurassic Jumpers
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2008, 04:50:00 PM »
I agree with Foote, the max on leg press machines for anyone is pretty high, we were doing 150kg+ at school at the age of 16 and we were the small kids in the year :)