Author Topic: Rattle, even though I've tightened/checked bolts?  (Read 7604 times)

Offline Springer

Rattle, even though I've tightened/checked bolts?
« on: December 31, 2008, 09:39:12 PM »
My left bock has a different sound when I rattle it, it's more clangy, and when I walk on it, when I lift my foot it seems as if a part of the hoof isn't lifting up at the same time ???
Is it the bushings wearing and rattling?
I've checked all the bolts and all of them were fairly tight!
What is wrong with my bock? I want to go out on them tomorrow :-[
Thanks in advance, Springer.

Dark Knight

Re: Rattle, even though I've tightened/checked bolts?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2008, 10:05:09 PM »
Have you check the bolts that hold the spring to the backets ?
Hold the frame and wiggle the spring if you feel movement that's what it's likely to be.
Don't over tighten these as you could damage the sping very easily.
The ony way to tighten them is to remove them from the frame.
It's not a hard job just remember where each bolt, washer and space came from. :thumbs:
« Last Edit: December 31, 2008, 10:09:17 PM by Dark Knight »

Offline Spud

• Mod
  • Elite Member
  • Yeah! I'm a waffle!
    • EA Bockers
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2008, 10:07:50 PM »
Hey  :new_year:
There is good news and bad news about your bocks

The good news is, for some reason this happens to everybody's bocks. I had my new PJs for about 5 hours when they kinda started to click when I walked around. But only on one bock, I checked things but it didnt help LOL.

The bad news is I dont think you can do that much about it, but having used my bocks a lot more it hasnt got worse  :thumbs:

The problem with mine is kinda with the busings, not so much them wearing but the hole they sit in where the bolt goes through at the top of the spring. Try pulling the spring down and looking at the top and you might see or feel if thats the problem.

Also, check the straps on your bocks are not loose as one of them (ankle) holds the footplate in too i think. The other thing it could be is that one of the white spacers between the springs and the hoof kinda part has not come loose.

Other than that to keep your bocks in good nic I would suggest you spray the moving parts with silicon spray or something  ;)

:new_year:

Dark Knight

Offline Springer

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2008, 10:33:40 PM »
Thanks for the help :) So there's nothing I can do to stop/improve it apart from lubing the joints?
Will the other one start as well? I hope so because it feels so odd having them different XD
I've given the spring a wobble and it seems quite secure, and altogether I have probably used them for 5 hours.
I'm glad it's not something that means parts need replacing e.t.c!

Dark Knight

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2008, 10:46:48 PM »
try holding the stilt by the frame and lightly bounce it on the table it may give you a clue where it's loose ?

Do you have boots/socks on them ? One may be loose !
« Last Edit: December 31, 2008, 10:50:36 PM by Dark Knight »

Offline clive

• Elite Member
  • jump as high as you can ,,worry about the landing
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2008, 10:51:59 PM »
where the spring is it gos behind a bush near foot plate you get an old plastic bottle cut a strip off and slide between hi springer i had same problem and jason put some packing in it gos between thelower part of the frame bearing and spring needs to be tight fit then put tape round to keep it there if you still have problem jason or me will sort it at the meet

Offline Springer

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2008, 11:06:49 PM »
I have tried absolutely everything to try and find out where the rattle is but neither me or any of my family can identify where it is!!
The white spacers are in place and everything :)
Thanks for the suggestions and I will try that out Clive :)

Offline clive

• Elite Member
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2008, 11:09:58 PM »
where the white spacer is thats where jason and i put a thin plastic strip one bock had more play than the other

Dark Knight

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2008, 11:17:15 PM »
Are the bindings tight  :-\
Many the buckles loose ?

Offline Springer

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2008, 11:22:13 PM »
The bindings seem quite tight since I adjusted the large foot strap so it was shorter and checked everything was screwed up properly... I will try the plastic bottle since it is only one bock that feels strange :)

Offline clive

• Elite Member
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2008, 11:28:13 PM »
you need to use thickest sort of plastic that you can push between the white spacer and the bearing rod that should sort it but like i said if you want jason or myself will help you on sunday

Offline Springer

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2008, 11:52:46 PM »
I will cut myself up a lil bit of plastic tonight since I'm going out bocking at the park tomorrow morning :)
Thanks everyone and I will keep you updated! Now, to buy some silicon lube for my bushings :D

Offline Spud

• Mod
  • Elite Member
  • Yeah! I'm a waffle!
    • EA Bockers
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2008, 11:55:31 PM »
I am not sure if its the best thing to use but works OK for me  :thumbs: Jason might be able to suggest something better

:spudT:

Offline bobw

• EA Bocker
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2009, 01:39:06 AM »
if its a metallic rattle have a look under the heel bolt (where the footplate and upright meet) theres a metal spacer inside the frame. one of mine rattled all you need to do is tighten the bolt really tight to pinch the spacer. one of Kims rattled aswell,both ok now.

Offline Springer

« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2009, 10:53:26 AM »
ok I've had another look today and it's definitely the spring moving, I can grab it and wiggle it from side to side a bit, does this mean the white spacer thing will fix it?

Dark Knight

« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2009, 11:55:47 AM »
Side to side !
Check the plastic washer for damage or lose !
There may look like a wash but they are a spacer too if these brake it could make the joint "wobble".

Have you seen the on-line manaul ?
http://www.projumpforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=1247.0

Offline darfgarf

• PJF Contributor
  • Elite Member
  • splat
    • Surrey springers
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2009, 01:42:46 PM »
the springs can move side to side, i snapped 3 bolts in 3 months because of it, can make the holes in the spring bigger aswell which is bad, my solution so far is adding roilled up paper and tape to the left and right of the spring

Offline Springer

« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2009, 03:29:21 PM »
Just come back from having a stroll around at a park, they didn't feel too bad today, but I think I will try sticking paper down the sides like darfgarf suggested because I am really not to keen on taking the spring off by my larry, I don't know what I'm doing!!

Offline hybrid_hex

• EA Bocker
  • Elite Member
  • + + - - REDO FROM START - - + +
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2009, 04:01:39 PM »
Spring removal is a doddle, dont be afraid, it isnt under any tension until you are wearing the bocks, so it wont hurt you!! Have a look around, I know for a fact, that somewhere, Jason has done a spring removal tutorial!

Also. if you do get the urge to tinker, remove the knee bar/cuff(which ever you have) remove the calf pad, and then the main block holding it all together, inside there are a couple of bolts, check these! Mine were completelt undone! the only reason mine didnt fall off is because the bolt is too long to come out of the hole in the space there is!

This goes for you too Spud! have a look at yours!!

Offline Spud

• Mod
  • Elite Member
  • Yeah! I'm a waffle!
    • EA Bockers
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2009, 04:13:49 PM »
I will check that Hex. Coz actually, my new bocks are weird. The calf pads are at different heights  :o That normal, I cant remember if they have always been like that  :-\

:spudT:

Offline hybrid_hex

• EA Bocker
  • Elite Member
  • + + - - REDO FROM START - - + +
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2009, 04:17:44 PM »
The reason I found mine, is because, the whole top half of my bocks would wobble forwards and backwards, pivoting on the black block, putting the nuts back on fixed this! lol!  :Straddle5:

Offline Spud

• Mod
  • Elite Member
  • Yeah! I'm a waffle!
    • EA Bockers
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2009, 05:45:31 PM »
Oh, mine isnt that bad, Just the Normal click everybody gets. Still gonna look tho  :thumbs:

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2009, 09:25:51 PM »
Lets start with you Springer
If you can move the spring side to side the odds are it's the plastic packers that are either missing or loose but a few things to check
1--The small nuts and bolts at the top and bottom of the spring (the ones that attach the spring to the bracket) check that none of these are loose (4 on each stilt)
2--check that the nuts that hold the side rods haven't come loose (bottom of the rods either side of your foot)
3--If the spring is loose you will be able to move it with your hand (try to make the gap at the front bigger by pushing the spring back) if there is any movement you need to push something in front of the spring (an old store card normally does the trick the credit card type)

If you are still having problems on sunday I will be at the gym meet in gillingham and have a look at them for you  :thumbs:

Spud
The calf pads can be turned upside down to move them up a bit I know this because I put one on either way once and had to undo the four bolts again to reverse one of them  :biggrin:

Jason  :Hoofies2:

Offline Spud

• Mod
  • Elite Member
  • Yeah! I'm a waffle!
    • EA Bockers
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2009, 09:44:51 PM »
LOL, I think they were just odd when I got them...Its appears that the support rods are different lengths on each bock. Must have been like that when I got them LOL....One of the calf pads cant get much higher..But..I dont need them so dont care  :biggrin:

Thanks anyhoo  ;)