Author Topic: which ones are best?  (Read 5831 times)

Offline lukethenewbie

which ones are best?
« on: January 08, 2009, 08:00:30 AM »
i am going to buy some stilts and i was wondering which brands are the best. i am ony looking to spend 300-400 australian dollars and i weigh 50kg.are they legal in australia.if u could help me out it would be most appreciated.

Offline sprog

• Elite Member
  • Not enough time in the day to bock anymore...
    • The Jurassic Jumpers
Re: which ones are best?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2009, 07:49:01 PM »
There is no patent cover in Australia so anyone can effectively sell whatever crap they want and get away with it. I suggest you avoid SkyRunners or MoonBoots, both have cropped up over there.

You effectively have 2 choices in aus, powerstrider from http://theweirderthebetter.com.au (Naz, I'm guessing it's ok for me to link as it's not in the UK?), or airrunners from http://airrunner.com.au/

AirRunner are the discontinued UpWing line, which were cancelled due to quality and general mechanical problems, so I would definately avoid those. Also they're regarded as a bit of a joke in the bocking community as they were extremely hyped and regarded as "the next thing in bocking" in the community before release, only to be discontinued a few months later. Over here they were called "ProJump Elites"

Basically, leaving you with powerstrider, which are ProJumps, just under a different name. So, good quality and very good for beginners. Price is a little steep though compared to the UK Price (£50 more!).

Offline lukethenewbie

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2009, 01:11:10 AM »
ok thanks are power jumperz any good ?

Offline Spud

• Mod
  • Elite Member
  • Yeah! I'm a waffle!
    • EA Bockers
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2009, 01:24:15 AM »
Skyrunner alert...

Offline darfgarf

• PJF Contributor
  • Elite Member
  • splat
    • Surrey springers
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2009, 01:46:00 AM »
XD i have a powerjumperS box on my floor, they suck put simply, so just don't

Offline aidanh1

• Elite Member
  • KATIEE :D <3
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2009, 02:28:03 AM »
yer as these guys say dont go for the cheapo ones even if you are a beginner if ur ever gonna have fun in this sport u need good tools so i recomend spending that few dollar more and gettin some that will actually work like powerstriders

i carnt spel... or maybe you cant read ;)

Offline Spud

• Mod
  • Elite Member
  • Yeah! I'm a waffle!
    • EA Bockers
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2009, 07:49:36 AM »
They were the most expensive skyrunners I had ever seen.

:spudT:

Offline darfgarf

• PJF Contributor
  • Elite Member
  • splat
    • Surrey springers
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2009, 04:47:07 PM »
They were the most expensive skyrunners I had ever seen.

they sell them under the powerskips label for about £400-£500 :D

Offline AEA

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2009, 09:11:09 AM »
Hi first poster here

Im in aus too and im a little confused as to which to buy. With all the names being so similar and most websites are all saying conflicting things im just wondering is anyone has had a look to say which are the brand to get. Even if there is a site that sells to australia with a better product??

The other thing I am wondering is i can only find airrunners as having cuffs instead of the bar. No sites really sell an aftermarket cuff to replace the bar either? any help would be great. Thanks in advance

Dark Knight

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2009, 09:49:47 AM »
 Welcome AEA

Although Airrunners are about the onlt legal pair that you can buy in Aus a number a companies are now being to sell woth cuffs. Like the pro-jumpas from here.
 Sprog knows his stuff so unless you have a "friend" that can buy a pair else where the choice may not be too great.

If they are legal copies most makes will be fine for a first pair. Read through this sites topic as there is lot of helpfull tips.  :)

Offline Spud

• Mod
  • Elite Member
  • Yeah! I'm a waffle!
    • EA Bockers
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2009, 11:24:36 AM »
Hey,
It's really hard to name a good brand in Aus because there is no patent. So anybody can sell the bocks that would be illegal here and I am sure they name there bocks very similar to respected brands. If they seem really cheap then you probably have found these bocks. The quality can be very poor and I recommend you stay clear of them. They seem cheap but they don't last very long. Better to find a good pair to begin with.

Airrunners are good I think. And the calf cuff is seen as an upgrade. I think I am right in saying that airrunners only sell "pro models". The knee bar is from normal versions.  It's not a bad thing  ;)

Offline sprog

• Elite Member
    • The Jurassic Jumpers
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2009, 12:32:22 PM »
Airrunners are good I think. And the calf cuff is seen as an upgrade. I think I am right in saying that airrunners only sell "pro models". The knee bar is from normal versions.  It's not a bad thing  ;)
AirRunner are the discontinued UpWing line, which were cancelled due to quality and general mechanical problems, so I would definately avoid those. Also they're regarded as a bit of a joke in the bocking community as they were extremely hyped and regarded as "the next thing in bocking" in the community before release, only to be discontinued a few months later. Over here they were called "ProJump Elites"
:P :P :P

Im in aus too and im a little confused as to which to buy. With all the names being so similar and most websites are all saying conflicting things im just wondering is anyone has had a look to say which are the brand to get. Even if there is a site that sells to australia with a better product??

The other thing I am wondering is i can only find airrunners as having cuffs instead of the bar. No sites really sell an aftermarket cuff to replace the bar either? any help would be great. Thanks in advance
As Aus isn't covered by the patent you can't import from patent covered countries (The US, UK, some of mainland europe). It pretty much leaves you with the choices I listed earlier on in this thread, I'd say if you want a pair that will last you a while and you can learn easily on, go for PowerStrider.

AirRunner cuffs are bad, they're solid plastic around the back of the leg making them uncomfortable and not as secure. Both ProJump and 7Leagues are now selling cuffs on their own in the UK, and PowerStrider and PoweriSer are in the US. Try contacting the Aus PowerStrider Distributor and ask if they will be selling cuffs separately at all.

Offline AEA

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2009, 02:10:31 PM »
thanks for that. just wondering with the airrunners they don't have a metal part between the foot and the joint to the foot. is this important?? does this affect the  quality or the durability?? is there a thread about spotting the difference and things to look for?? or does anyone have tips??

Offline sprog

• Elite Member
    • The Jurassic Jumpers
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2009, 03:03:40 PM »
The main problem is AirRunner/UpWing/ProJump Elite were never released over here, nor were many pairs sold elsewhere, I've only heard of one person importing a pair into the UK and everyone who has tried them hated them. As such, there's no threads on them or advice/tips for using them.

The fact the lower frame is bolted through the spring has always been a worry, never seen or heard of a problem with it, but then again I've never actually heard of anyone owning the stilts and using them for a prolonged amount of time.

I seriously advise you go with the PowerStriders, they are the same as ProJump and good quality. I think the fact that AirRunner were discontinued throughout the world due to "equipment design failures" pretty much says all  you need to know about them

Offline AEA

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2009, 03:24:02 PM »
Thanks for all the help. sorry for all the noob questions and repeats. I did just find a site that says its selling powerisers? would these be worth a try?

http://www.circusstuff.com.au/showproduct.asp?prodid=6042

hope im not breaking any forum rules about sites i just wanna spend my money well and like everyone has said without patents in australia im more likely to get ripped off with inferior ones.

Offline Spud

• Mod
  • Elite Member
  • Yeah! I'm a waffle!
    • EA Bockers
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2009, 03:55:55 PM »
 :haha: shows how much I know  ;D I dont know anything about bocks in aus...just that they would be better than skyrunners  :D Are airrunner still selling the "upwing" thingy bobs? or are they improved versions? The new versions are fine. Like SJ olympic and stuff ??? and...that guy with the upwings was an EA and the problem with them was they were not set up properly apparently.

:biggrin: If you can get some powerstriders or powersiers I would deffo go with them. Just because the design is well tested. but I do think that slowly problems have been ironed out of "upwings, blah blah whatever they are called LOL" time will tell  ;)

Offline webmaster

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • Aka Naz :)
    • Pro-Jump.co.uk - Original Patent Protected stilts
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2009, 05:21:38 PM »
Thanks for all the help. sorry for all the noob questions and repeats. I did just find a site that says its selling powerisers? would these be worth a try?

http://www.circusstuff.com.au/showproduct.asp?prodid=6042

hope im not breaking any forum rules about sites i just wanna spend my money well and like everyone has said without patents in australia im more likely to get ripped off with inferior ones.

those look like genuine poweriSers you should be fine with them and if its a choice between the airrunner model http://airrunner.com.au/power-bocking.php then go for the PoweriSers as the model sold by AirRunner was something we didnt import in as there was flaws with the footplate stability & other issues.