Author Topic: Junior spring taping  (Read 7335 times)

Dark Knight

Junior spring taping
« on: February 08, 2009, 08:52:40 PM »
We are all awear of how adding extra protection to our springs helps by either tape or in some cases tires. Junior springs probably need these even more !

Junior stilts in most repect are scaled down version of normal stilts and the don't take long to tape them.

For younger bockers looking after their stilts may not be their top priority rather just wanting to have fun on them. Parents could help them tape their springs and maybe use multi-coloured tapes to make them look special.

This mean they'll feel their caring for them as well as just enjoying them. Once they've out grow them and get a bigger pairs they can pass them onto the little brother or sister.

Offline choco bean

Re: Junior spring taping
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2009, 08:57:26 PM »
I do agree, that it is good to tape them up as it provides more protection, but they don't really neeed anymore protection than a pair of adult's would.  They only need about one or two layers, anymore and this could result in some of the spring's bendiness being forfitted.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy it!

Offline darfgarf

• PJF Contributor
  • Elite Member
  • splat
    • Surrey springers
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2009, 09:05:58 PM »
anymore and this could result in some of the spring's bendiness being forfitted.

that only makes a difference when the springs are REALLY dead, i have a pair that are pretty much held together by the tape :D

Offline Spud

• Mod
  • Elite Member
  • Yeah! I'm a waffle!
    • EA Bockers
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2009, 09:08:59 PM »
I don't think tape effects springs at all, juniors or adult.

Those springs take loads of pressure. The springs take like all of your weight and a lot lot more from jumping. You can bend tape with your fingers. You would need enough tape to make it hardly move when you jumped on it to make any noticeable difference I think. So I would tape up as much as necessary. If you tape is like an inch think around the spring I think you might cause some resistance then, if it was gaffa or something. Tape can only do good :)

But I agree about the taping thing choco. It may even be more important on adults, higher to fall.

and lol Darf! As if, I may tape up my knackered springs with 50 layers of gaffa and see if it makes a difference. Spose backs up my theory tho. Less spring resistance means you need less tape you help reinforce it.

:spudT:

Offline darfgarf

• PJF Contributor
  • Elite Member
  • splat
    • Surrey springers
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2009, 09:18:14 PM »
and lol Darf! As if, I may tape up my knackered springs with 50 layers of gaffa and see if it makes a difference. Spose backs up my theory tho. Less spring resistance means you need less tape you help reinforce it.

if i remove the tape 2 foot long splinters of the fibreglass come away from the springs, and i've got about 5 layers of extremely tough materially-type tape, few layers of regular insulation tape and lots of duct tape to seal it all in, they're still useful if anyone needs an adult pair of 40kg springs or something :D

Offline choco bean

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2009, 09:19:29 PM »
Tape can only do good :)

Not always.  Well in my case anyway, although i think it was partly to do with the springs. I'd put about 3 or 4 layers of tape on them as i didn't want the springs to be damaged.  This, i think, then ment the springs were even less responsive then usual. This pair was some junior pink ones I got in 2007.  The springs weren't too good to start with, and the tape didn't help.

Although, it's propbably just in my case...

Offline Kazbahn

• :D
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2009, 09:21:36 PM »
i really dont see how 3/4 layers of tape are going to affect the springs unless it's fibre-glass or something you're layering on, or maybe that plaster stuff...

try putting 4 layers of that same tape together, then bending it, i'd bet you it's as easy as you like...

Offline Spud

• Mod
  • Elite Member
  • Yeah! I'm a waffle!
    • EA Bockers
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2009, 09:25:35 PM »

Not always.  Well in my case anyway, although i think it was partly to do with the springs. I'd put about 3 or 4 layers of tape on them as i didn't want the springs to be damaged.  This, i think, then ment the springs were even less responsive then usual. This pair was some junior pink ones I got in 2007.  The springs weren't too good to start with, and the tape didn't help.

Did you use them without tape too? It just sounds like your springs needed a bit of a wearing in.

if i remove the tape 2 foot long splinters of the fibreglass come away from the springs, and i've got about 5 layers of extremely tough materially-type tape, few layers of regular insulation tape and lots of duct tape to seal it all in, they're still useful if anyone needs an adult pair of 40kg springs or something :D

hahaha, not much then! I think you need to let go and put them in the bin  :Ctongue: yes, that is the new rule:

If your springs are effected by tape they should probably be put in the bin! I like it :P

i really dont see how 3/4 layers of tape are going to affect the springs unless it's fibre-glass or something you're layering on, or maybe that plaster stuff...

try putting 4 layers of that same tape together, then bending it, i'd bet you it's as easy as you like...

Exactly my thoughts :S

Dark Knight

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2009, 09:29:04 PM »
I've taped my second hand pair up when I got them and their been used for about 2 hours and the tape I put on is coming off in places.

Small children will but getting in and out of them more often then us and can scuff then when doing that!

Offline darfgarf

• PJF Contributor
  • Elite Member
  • splat
    • Surrey springers
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2009, 09:31:30 PM »
hahaha, not much then! I think you need to let go and put them in the bin  :Ctongue: yes, that is the new rule:

If your springs are effected by tape they should probably be put in the bin! I like it :P

b..b..b..but they were my first springs T_T

probably throwing out the skyrunner springs, they're just plain dangerous, and give fibreglass splinters whenever they're handled

Offline choco bean

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2009, 09:31:50 PM »

Did you use them without tape too? It just sounds like your springs needed a bit of a wearing in.

Yeah, I did, and I've still got them, and their still not brill, thats why I got adult bocks

Offline Spud

• Mod
  • Elite Member
  • Yeah! I'm a waffle!
    • EA Bockers
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2009, 09:40:37 PM »
b..b..b..but they were my first springs T_T

probably throwing out the skyrunner springs, they're just plain dangerous, and give fibreglass splinters whenever they're handled

Aww! I will allow you to keep them! They have sentimental value :D but the rule has been updated..

If your springs are effected by tape or are skyrunners they should probably be put in the bin!

Yeah, I did, and I've still got them, and their still not brill, thats why I got adult bocks

Thats well odd! Adult bocks are better anyway :D finding them good?

Offline choco bean

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2009, 09:41:23 PM »
indeed

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2009, 10:04:21 PM »
I have found a great way of protecting my springs

It takes a bit of effort but if you go to any good bike shop and ask for the old punctured mountain bike inner tubes they will give you loads of them as they just chuck them out

Cut the inner tube either side of the valve and them slit it all the way round so you end up with a strip of rubber about 42 wire and abiut 5 ft long

Then spiral wrap it round the spring from end to end and cover it with one layer of insulating tape (I use hazard tape 3" wide as its quicker)

I have done all my springs like this (6 sets so far) and have never had anything get through it despite some nasty falls

Jason  :Hoofies2: :CGEEK:

Offline bockster

• born 2 bounce lol
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2009, 07:44:00 AM »
I have found a great way of protecting my springs

It takes a bit of effort but if you go to any good bike shop and ask for the old punctured mountain bike inner tubes they will give you loads of them as they just chuck them out

Cut the inner tube either side of the valve and them slit it all the way round so you end up with a strip of rubber about 42 wire and abiut 5 ft long

Then spiral wrap it round the spring from end to end and cover it with one layer of insulating tape (I use hazard tape 3" wide as its quicker)

I have done all my springs like this (6 sets so far) and have never had anything get through it despite some nasty falls

Jason  :Hoofies2: :CGEEK:
sound good, ill probarbly do when i get my bocks :) as i have an innertube lying around as im lazy :) by the way, could i probarbly use duct tape?
my sig :D

Offline Spud

• Mod
  • Elite Member
  • Yeah! I'm a waffle!
    • EA Bockers
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2009, 07:45:55 AM »
Duct tape would probably be better, stronger, better protection. I swear by the stuff :)

Offline darfgarf

• PJF Contributor
  • Elite Member
  • splat
    • Surrey springers
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2009, 07:59:50 AM »
Duct tape would probably be better, stronger, better protection. I swear by the stuff :)

but it does rip pretty easily, so if you catch a metal corner or something on them it'll just shred straight though it all

Offline Spud

• Mod
  • Elite Member
  • Yeah! I'm a waffle!
    • EA Bockers
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2009, 09:01:24 AM »
Haha! No it doesnt. Mind you... I have like 6 layers and its rral good stuff. The actual branded stuff is a bit crappy tbh lol

Offline darfgarf

• PJF Contributor
  • Elite Member
  • splat
    • Surrey springers
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2009, 09:06:30 AM »
i used ot have 10 layers of mixed duct, vinyl and standard electical tape, shredded it in seconds, but then again ive gone through the protection on 7s, so not a very good example

Offline Bexx

• I need a bock
  • EA Bocker
  • I'VE MOVED!
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2009, 11:46:31 AM »

Ive used fabric electrical tape from gaffa tape.com for mine (only like 2 layers of it) and Ive bearly got a nick on them and ive had my bocks for about a month now (with continual weekly use)

gaffatape.com FTW!!!!

------------------------------------
No-Longer down south :(  I will miss london -- but I will be back, oh yes

Offline Greggles

• EA Bocker
  • Elite Member
  • BOCK IT AND ROCK IT
    • www.eabockers.com
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2009, 11:55:36 AM »
lol the world is held up buy gaffa tape and duct tape lol duct tape ftw

Offline Spud

• Mod
  • Elite Member
  • Yeah! I'm a waffle!
    • EA Bockers
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2009, 11:57:21 AM »
And my shoes!

Offline sprog

• Elite Member
  • Not enough time in the day to bock anymore...
    • The Jurassic Jumpers
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2009, 01:20:26 PM »
lol the world is held up buy gaffa tape and duct tape lol duct tape ftw
I hate to point this out Greg but Duct tape and Gaffer tape are essentially the same, only difference is Gaffer is made slightly different so it tears easier :Ctongue:

Offline scruff

• Jump! How High??
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2009, 03:35:08 PM »
Don't forget
the good old Hockey Tape
I only use 3 layers and it works really well!!!!

Offline Spud

• Mod
  • Elite Member
  • Yeah! I'm a waffle!
    • EA Bockers
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2009, 05:12:33 PM »
The problem is getting hold of it scruff