Author Topic: Carbon Fiber Spring  (Read 3374 times)

Offline dlipford370

Carbon Fiber Spring
« on: April 01, 2009, 08:43:15 AM »
Hi,
I just got my bocks today, and I taped the springs up first, but I still had a fall, and somehow I cut the cover on the spring, and I can see a nice scratch on the spring also.  On the actual carbon fiber fiberglass part.  It just looks like a scratch, like its not splitting apart or anything, but I just retaped it up.  You guys think this is totally ok?  Just wondering, thanks.

Offline Spud

• Mod
  • Elite Member
  • Yeah! I'm a waffle!
    • EA Bockers
Re: Carbon Fiber Spring
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2009, 08:59:58 AM »
It's probably fine...Just a surface mark. The spring actually marks quite easy...but to be on the safe side, After you have been on them again for a bit take your tape off and see if it has changed. If you have damaged it then it should make itself known under the stresses. Check it a couple of times after you go out on them..if it hasn't changed then it will be fine.

How are you taping them? Electrical tape? Gaffa tape offers much better protection for the springs.

:spudT:

Offline dlipford370

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2009, 09:08:59 AM »
I just wrapped them up in some decent hockey tape a few layers..

Offline Spud

• Mod
  • Elite Member
  • Yeah! I'm a waffle!
    • EA Bockers
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2009, 09:17:00 AM »
You must have really lumped them :D I think it will be fine, just check it to be on the safe side.

:spudT:

Offline Kiwi

• *boop*
    • My Twitter!
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2009, 06:57:44 PM »
bike tyres offer the best protection and if you do them right they look pretty coool. have a look at mine ::

Offline Kazbahn

• :D
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2009, 08:16:51 PM »
kiwi, honestly, any opportunity you can get to show off your springs ^^

YES we all know how nice they are, lol...

Anyway, i agree with you, they do offer the best protection, i took a major lump out of my spring cover when i clacked one off the support rod thing somehow when running... put gaffa tape and bubble wrap round, then once i got some, i covered that with bike tires... they'll never get damaged again xD

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2009, 10:03:20 PM »
I have been covering my springs the same way since the first set and never damaged one despite many hard falls

Go to your local bike shop and ask them for there old inner tubes (they normally throw them away) cut the valve off and split them lengthways
Them spiral wrap them round the spring and tape in place with gaffer or electric tape

Jason  :Hoofies2: :CGEEK:

Offline dlipford370

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2009, 06:08:03 AM »
Thanks for all the response, I'm going to have to something a little better than just hockey tape.  Oh, and the bike tires look sick!  nice!

Offline Kiwi

• *boop*
    • My Twitter!
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2009, 12:08:58 AM »
kiwi, honestly, any opportunity you can get to show off your springs ^^

well of course!!! LMAO !!

Offline Donkey Kong

• EA Bocker
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2009, 11:56:00 PM »
WOOW kiwi your springs are sooo cool, i want NAO. nah nrly but they are purty cool

sex and drugs and sausage rolls! :D:D

Offline Wally247

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2009, 12:03:05 AM »
If you wrap clingfilm round the springs then tape them up you can remove the tape really easily(just cut along the back or side of the spring...
it makes wrapping any other springs dead easy put the cut off tape round the new spring(it should hold its shape) and add a few more layers
 :Cmask:
:
                                                          click for details

bocking puts the spring back in you step...