Author Topic: Calf Cuffs twisting although they're tightened... alot!  (Read 2585 times)

Offline Neodragus

Calf Cuffs twisting although they're tightened... alot!
« on: June 26, 2009, 06:25:49 PM »
Hey guys, ended up buying some Calf Cuffs instead of the knee bar that comes standard, the knee bar was hurting my leg, so yeah, anyway, now with the calf cuffs coming and me adjusting them to the right height and everything (Thanks Jason for the tutorial you posted on the calf cuffs). Although, after using them, I've found that I can't tighten the pinch clamp enough to stop the new calf cuffs from twisting, after tightening the clamps to the point of actually bending the plastic into the metal, they don't twist so much, but I'm worried about plastic breaking. Is there anything I can do about it? The only thing I can think of is to get some tape to put around the frame that holds the cuffs in place or keep tightening them, which I don't feel comfortable doing.

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
Re: Calf Cuffs twisting although they're tightened... alot!
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2009, 10:15:04 PM »
Ok first a question Neodragus

What bocks are you fitting them to

If you are fitting them to anything other than Projumps of Powerizers the plastic brackets on other bocks aren't strong enough

I found that sometimes the front bolts on Projumps didn't have washers on them and if you tighten them without washers they dig into the plastic so add some washers if yours are missing (both sides is best so 8 washers in all) any good hardware store will have them for a few pennys

I also remove the calf pads when I fit them as the pads rub my legs but I don't think that makes much of a difference as Clive has kept his on and his don't slip

I do tighten them up until the plastic distorts quite a lot and I have had 3 pairs in use for over a year (4 if you count Clives) and not had a failure yet
The PJ plastic clamps do seem to be made of good stuff

Jason  :Hoofies2: :CGEEK:

Offline Neodragus

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2009, 01:12:31 PM »
I have a set of Powerisers and they do have washers on the front, but not on the back, I might try putting bigger washers on them soon. I'd rather get a bit stronger plastic brackets if possible.

The plastic hasn't distorted so much, but it's still more then I'd like it to be, but I guess I'll just have to live with it then if that's the only way really. Also, are there any spare parts that I ought to get like Pro bindings or something for them?

Thanks in advance =) :Cnotworthy:
« Last Edit: June 27, 2009, 01:18:13 PM by Neodragus »

Offline sprog

• Elite Member
  • Not enough time in the day to bock anymore...
    • The Jurassic Jumpers
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2009, 01:30:23 PM »
If you're fitting them to powerisers, I'd advise you contact the company you bought them from, and see if they can send you out a set of the metal brackets that are used on the poweriser advanced models. PJ Plastic brackets hold cuffs on PJs, but aren't so good on other brands.

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2009, 09:42:14 PM »
Yep agreed Sprog

The PoweriZer ones that came on Clives seemed to hold the cuffs well but they are basicaly PJ's under a diferent name

But  I don't know about PoweriSer brackets as I havn't seen them close up but if they are anything like the 7 ones you are onto a looser as they wouldn't hold at all

Jason  :Hoofies2: :CGEEK: