Author Topic: Best tire tread for socks  (Read 4093 times)

Offline wolf

Best tire tread for socks
« on: September 30, 2009, 05:07:05 PM »
so I recently replaced the tires on my bike and plan on using the old ones for spring guards and socks

I realised though that they have different treads on them which my dad told me was so hat I could stear better with the front wheel and the back one gave me better grip or something

now though I dont know which one would be best for the socks. I worry that having lots of chunky tread might make me trip up more or that the tire wont fold right or something

is there a perfered tread type for tire socks? is a smoother tire better or does it not make much difference?

wolf

Offline sprog

• Elite Member
  • Not enough time in the day to bock anymore...
    • The Jurassic Jumpers
Re: Best tire tread for socks
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2009, 05:26:39 PM »
Personally I found off-road tyres best, as they're a bit thicker so take the brunt of the force better, but other people swear by road tyres. It's personal preference really.

Offline Biohazard

• The 'Crash Test Dummy'
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2009, 05:31:50 PM »
Why not get a pair of Mk3 Hoofies.

Offline CJ

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2009, 05:45:30 PM »
hoofies wont fit on my new bocks so im gonna get a pair of nero's Bad ass Doc Martins tyre socks as he calls them,

stand by for pictures of them hes in the process of doing a tutorial on how to make them

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2009, 10:33:29 PM »
I have always found the same as Sprog

The Chunkier the better so I use to use mountain bike tyres
Now Mk3's are made from MotorbikeTrail Tyres

Jason  :Hoofies2: :CGEEK:

Offline toddy

• Elite Member
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2009, 07:44:11 AM »
hi
now this ios my area of knologe, since i own a mountain bike shop as well  :Ctongue:

now i would say that if you have different tyres for the front and rear of a bike they are most probilly cheeper tyres
(sub 15 ea) when i would say the more expencive the tyre the better it is, but i dont expect you to go out and cut up a £50 tyre(an yes that is a common price for some).

now as for the tyres u have, one of your should have a tread patteren that goes across the tyre(rear) and other should go with the tyre(front) now i would use the rear as this should give you better grip due to the tread patteren.

if you want any more advice just ask me

Offline wolf

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2009, 11:41:12 AM »
thanks for all your comments people

and thanks ALOT toddy thats solved the problem perfectly for me you have worked out exactly what tyres I have! (freaky :Cerr:)

hopefully this thread is usefull to other people than just me

wolf