Author Topic: Nooby question time. :)  (Read 3943 times)

Offline Samarka

• In my livingroom!
Nooby question time. :)
« on: February 01, 2010, 01:04:22 AM »
OK nooby question time so I beg patience.

I've not got any yet but intend to buy some stilts in the next few months. M90's in fact coz I'm around 12 stone, that about right?

I'm 6' 3" so being a tall skinny bugger I was wondering if the adjustable knee bars will reach up my gangly legs or if it makes a difference if they are a little lower down my shin than recommended?

Whats the difference between bars and calf cuffs? Do you not get a bar to strap onto with the cuffs? I can understand the comfort and unrestricted movement people say it gives you but does that mean your sacrificing support? Putting more pressure on your feet and ankles where they strap to the footplate?

I've got a pair of all in one shin and knee pads by 661 originally meant for mountain biking, will they suffice as knee protection? Or would you recommend those bigger chunky skate kneepads I see people wearing?

Does anyone know of anyone in the Chester or general Cheshire area who does this? The map shows no one within 20-30 miles.

Thats all for now, I'm open to suggestions or any pointers you might have for me as a prospective noobit bocker.

~ Samarka

Got bocks, backfleep or broken face sometime in the future.....

Offline Spud

• Mod
  • Elite Member
  • Yeah! I'm a waffle!
    • EA Bockers
Re: Nooby question time. :)
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2010, 10:42:25 AM »
Welcome to the forum samarka.

90s should be the right bocks for you :) you should get those. As for your height there have been tall people on bocks before. Tok comes to mind :D the bars extend pretty far but if it isnt enough you can wear them lower. Some people do it by choice. You cant go too far. with bars we say just below the knee. You can go a little way below that. Cuffs are always worn a bit lower. Its too hard to desbribe. Theyneed to be a decent height probably within the top 1/3 of your lower leg. Anyhoo. I think you will be fine.

Calf cuffs come with bars. Not sure about this unrestricted movement thing but they are deffo more comfortable and easy to get secure. If anything its quite the opposite to what you are thinking. Bars can allow your legs to wobble about. Cuffs eliminate this pretty well and support your legs as well as the cuffs. No more strains on ankles ect. I think less. Because my legs are secure in cuffs i dont need to have the foot straps so tight they cut off blood circulation to my toes :D

nobody really wears skate pads. Not on knees anyway. The 661s should be ideal.  Kyle straights are the ones bockers use. If they are like that then they should be ideal. Most people use knee/shin pads because they go through the bars and provide more support. Plus bars and cuffs can stop normal pads sitting right.

Hope that helps a bit
 :spudT:

Offline Samarka

• In my livingroom!
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2010, 11:07:48 AM »
Yeah it does, just wanting to make sure I get as good idea as possible before I blow a load of cash on these.

The pads I have were competition grade that they no longer make, this is the closest thing I cam find to show what I mean;

http://www.sixsixone.com/Catalog_661Bike.aspx?id=d914a66c-9ff3-4509-ba56-4e82df24c718&product=ae91d889-20ba-498b-bc5e-9dfa9662af61

My mistake about the pads, in the video's I've watched (oh gods so many videos  :Ceek:) they resemble the big chunky skate pads, didn't know Bocking was big enough to get specific pads too, heh.

You wouldnt happen to know of any bockers in the Chester/Cheshire area? The map shows no one very near at all.

Offline Bbmthbloke

• Elite Member
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2010, 11:17:37 AM »
hi  there are a few your way.. think there was a meet your way over the hols.  contact SNuD, tho he just over the boarder in N Wales

Offline Samarka

• In my livingroom!
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2010, 11:22:31 AM »
Trust me to miss a meet, I'm willing to bet it was even in Chester itself, aside from Wrexham its the biggest city nearby. I live right in the centre of Chester.

Thanks for the contact. My future bocking partner lives in Wales so means its easy for me to go that way.

Offline Spud

• Mod
  • Elite Member
  • Yeah! I'm a waffle!
    • EA Bockers
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2010, 11:37:58 AM »
The pads are not bocking pads :D they are DH/MX pads. Projumps sister company is ghostbikes so i guess that has had an effect. Those pads look fine for the job :)

Offline SNuD

• PJF Contributor
    • N.E.W.C. Powerbockers
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2010, 12:12:09 PM »
Trust me to miss a meet, I'm willing to bet it was even in Chester itself, aside from Wrexham its the biggest city nearby. I live right in the centre of Chester.

Thanks for the contact. My future bocking partner lives in Wales so means its easy for me to go that way.

Does this look familiar? :Claugh:

http://www.projumpforum.co.uk/index.php?action=gallery;sa=view;id=1905

Growing OLD is compulsory. Growing UP is optional. OPT OUT!

Offline Samarka

• In my livingroom!
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2010, 12:29:10 PM »
God damnit. Thanks, when was that? Doesnt look like that long ago.

Offline SNuD

• PJF Contributor
    • N.E.W.C. Powerbockers
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2010, 12:48:56 PM »
God damnit. Thanks, when was that? Doesnt look like that long ago.

Between christmas and new year. was there last week as well bu didn't take the camera.
put this into google maps 53.196356,-3.000214 and thats where we will be from 3:30 4ish till about 5:30ish. If you call me when your on your way or there I'll look out for you. the bus stops are shown on the map.

Growing OLD is compulsory. Growing UP is optional. OPT OUT!

Offline Samarka

• In my livingroom!
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2010, 12:54:54 PM »
If your wearing the stilts I bet I see you first. hehe

Do you actually have a spare set or am I robbing you of practice time or something?

Offline Bbmthbloke

• Elite Member
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2010, 03:30:16 PM »
things couild b worse.  whilst 17 bockers were at the jurassic jumpers 1st birthday meet , in bournemouth form 1100-1800ish a couple of years ago.... timed at 1300ish some1 joined the club and left their 1st post....'Im in central bournemouth,just got my stilts, is there much happening?'!!!!

Offline Samarka

• In my livingroom!
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2010, 08:32:32 PM »
Oh my god, so much fun! I had a go on the stilts today! I was bouncing around like a loon and didnt plant my face in the concrete once!

Offline Bbmthbloke

• Elite Member
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2010, 08:46:37 PM »
then  u aint  trying hard enuff :Claugh:

rawrk  managed 3  falls(that i counted)  on sunday  :Cswoon:

Offline rawrk

• Rofl'd her copter.
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2010, 09:31:56 PM »
I managed 5 overall :P

I was very impressed that I managed to carry on.
take what you love.
burn it down.

Offline Samarka

• In my livingroom!
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2010, 03:13:59 AM »
I thought I would just try get my balance and avoid falling on my face for the first time I used them, maybe next time.