Author Topic: Walk for Life 2010  (Read 33355 times)

Offline Biohazard

• The 'Crash Test Dummy'
Walk for Life 2010
« on: March 19, 2010, 10:57:36 PM »
So I thought it was time we created another thread on this seeing as it is soon.
I will update this post later, but who else is planning on coming this year, and is there any extra planning we need to do?
I got my letter about it in the mail recently, but haven't applied yet, because we need to form another bocking team(unless they have kept the teams from last year).
« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 11:05:02 AM by Biohazard »

Offline SNuD

• PJF Contributor
    • N.E.W.C. Powerbockers
Re: Walk for Life 2010
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2010, 11:02:01 PM »
Go on refresh my memory ???
What's it all about?

Growing OLD is compulsory. Growing UP is optional. OPT OUT!

Offline Biohazard

• The 'Crash Test Dummy'
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2010, 11:46:23 PM »
http://www.walkforlife.co.uk/

Here's their website because I'm a bit busy to write a proper explanation at the moment.

Offline W3bbo

• Bockipedia
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2010, 03:43:54 AM »
It is a tempting proposition, but 10km is a long distance to travel with 6kg of aluminium strapped to your legs[1]. Then there's the matter of it being in early June at the height of exam season and in London too. Whilst I can personally make it other people, especially those north of the Midlands, are going to find it hard making a case to go.

If we do go, I vote someone bring a rental van: after doing about 5 or 6km and getting completely shattered we can dump our stilts in the van then continue on foot as usual, and if we recover we can mount-up to cross the finish line in style.

I've read that other people have done the Walk for Live entirely on stilts, but then not everyone has the same muscle mass as those superhumans :p

[1]My A2-level physics tell me that will take:

Downward force of stilts: 6kg * 9.8ms^-1 = 58.8N
Extra energy required: 58.8N * 10,000 = 588,000J.

So you need half a million extra joules of energy to complete the Walk for Life with stilts (as opposed to doing it normally). For comparison, a Twix bar has about 580J. So you'll need to consume about a thousand twix bars to get the energy to do this.

...I think my physics are wrong somewhere. Anyone feel like correcting me?
« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 03:48:21 AM by W3bbo »

Offline darfgarf

• PJF Contributor
  • Elite Member
  • splat
    • Surrey springers
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2010, 09:43:50 AM »

that'd be a general figure if the stilts were just solid lumps of metal, doesn't account for the springs whatsoever, a certain proportion of the downwards force (from g) is returned by the spring, so each step will need less than 100% of what it would take to return you back up to whatever height you were at

or something like that, you'd need some kind of datalogger, some very accelerometers/some sensor to measure spring compression, and a few other things to actually determine it  :Claugh:

Offline Bbmthbloke

• Elite Member
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2010, 10:11:24 AM »
this will be the 4th year we have been doingbthis.  it really  is a scream....not least if jason jumps on your feet  or you are a photographer who ngot kicked by gibbo last year.

18 of us did it last year

as for distance it can be tiring   but  thats kinda part of the fun

Offline GIZMOQUEEN

• Elite Member
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2010, 10:35:57 AM »
I'm up for giving this a go...who's sorting the team out?

Offline Greggles

• EA Bocker
  • Elite Member
  • BOCK IT AND ROCK IT
    • www.eabockers.com
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2010, 10:56:58 AM »
Yer I'm in again last year was ace loved it your feet do hurt after but it's good fun and we do take regular brakes so it's fine :)

Offline Biohazard

• The 'Crash Test Dummy'
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2010, 11:03:15 AM »
It is a tempting proposition, but 10km is a long distance to travel with 6kg of aluminium strapped to your legs[1]. Then there's the matter of it being in early June at the height of exam season and in London too. Whilst I can personally make it other people, especially those north of the Midlands, are going to find it hard making a case to go.

If we do go, I vote someone bring a rental van: after doing about 5 or 6km and getting completely shattered we can dump our stilts in the van then continue on foot as usual, and if we recover we can mount-up to cross the finish line in style.

I've read that other people have done the Walk for Live entirely on stilts, but then not everyone has the same muscle mass as those superhumans :p

[1]My A2-level physics tell me that will take:

Downward force of stilts: 6kg * 9.8ms^-1 = 58.8N
Extra energy required: 58.8N * 10,000 = 588,000J.

So you need half a million extra joules of energy to complete the Walk for Life with stilts (as opposed to doing it normally). For comparison, a Twix bar has about 580J. So you'll need to consume about a thousand twix bars to get the energy to do this.

Ahem, no one had trouble completing it the last 3 years, so I don't see the problem this year.

Offline Biohazard

• The 'Crash Test Dummy'
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2010, 11:29:39 AM »
http://www.walkforlife.co.uk/public_team.php?teamid=42&teamtype=Regular%20Team

Alright guys, I created the team.
If you have already registered as a walker the password to join the team is bocktowin.

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2010, 12:29:37 PM »
One of the best days out on the Bocking callender

I have been for the last 2 years and it is a real ball

Don't worry about the distance as I have seen beginers do it easily as it is a walk with lots of breaks to watch the fit ones play  :Claugh:
3 twix bars should get you through and they give you liquid of various sorts free along the way

There is a party before you leave (live bands, dancing on stilts and allsorts)
And a barby when you come back (cheep burgers and stuff)

I wouldn't miss it for the world
As I didn't get any time for drumming up sponsors last year I just paid £10 and entered on the day (You get a Tshirt free too) and gave a few bob to the charity

Don't miss it and you can even wear a dress if you want  :Claugh:

Jason  :Hoofies2: :CGEEK:

Offline wolf

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2010, 02:01:15 PM »
I am so glad people are planning on doing this again this year since I joined this forum and saw the pics from people taking part I have always wanted to take part myself so I will definatly be using this as a major aim for getting on my stilts!!! fingers crossed this time I will actually be able to take part  :Cwink:
 :Becky:

Offline Greggles

• EA Bocker
  • Elite Member
  • BOCK IT AND ROCK IT
    • www.eabockers.com
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2010, 02:17:32 PM »
i Just joined the group and sent emails to 5 of the other Stormfront stores to sponsor us :) (its where i work XD) so hopefully we should start getting the pennies rolling in cant w8 for this year should be good i absolutely loved last year was epic mainly coz i got to meet a load of fresh faces and the sun was out was just brilliant bring it on :)

Offline sprog

• Elite Member
  • Not enough time in the day to bock anymore...
    • The Jurassic Jumpers
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2010, 02:20:33 PM »

Here is my correction....

HTFU

Will sign up when I have free time, which will be Monday :D Although Biohazard, why is there a password on the team? Never had that before :Ceek:

Offline GIZMOQUEEN

• Elite Member
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2010, 02:31:58 PM »
I have joined the team.. :Cbiggrin:

Offline Bbmthbloke

• Elite Member
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2010, 03:53:13 PM »
Ive already got my outfit    indeed i was modelling it on wednesday!!

Offline GIZMOQUEEN

• Elite Member
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2010, 04:29:12 PM »
is it your postman uniform?

Offline GIZMOQUEEN

• Elite Member
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2010, 05:21:38 PM »
Sprogs Vid of 2009 event

had to show everyone thats not seen it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZ1mfq41GzY&feature=player_embedded

Offline robinangered

« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2010, 08:46:56 PM »
someone having some good video from how high you can jump down from, if so i would like to see  :Cbiggrin: im afraid from jumping down from something higher then 50cm  :Ctwitcy:

and what type of bocks you guys using? i got flyjumpers, anyone using PowerSkips Pro Jumping Stilts?

I like video  :Crolleyes: many people out bocking  :PJR:

Offline Biohazard

• The 'Crash Test Dummy'
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2010, 10:31:24 PM »
someone having some good video from how high you can jump down from, if so i would like to see  :Cbiggrin: im afraid from jumping down from something higher then 50cm  :Ctwitcy:

and what type of bocks you guys using? i got flyjumpers, anyone using PowerSkips Pro Jumping Stilts?

I like video  :Crolleyes: many people out bocking  :PJR:

Most of use use Pro-Jumps (which are similar to Flyjumpers) or 7 Leagues, though I prefer Pro-Jumps.

Offline GIZMOQUEEN

• Elite Member
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2010, 08:13:14 AM »
I'm betting a few of them have powerskips.

Offline robinangered

« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2010, 09:45:34 AM »
I'm betting a few of them have powerskips.

Is there a big difference if you have powerskips compared with flyjumpers, in the quality way to jump and comfort? thought of as the price of powerskips is £ 749.99 when flyjumper cost abot £ 165 :Ceek:

Offline GIZMOQUEEN

• Elite Member
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2010, 09:52:47 AM »
Sprogs Vid of 2009 event

had to show everyone thats not seen it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZ1mfq41GzY&feature=player_embedded

Does anyone know the tune used on this Video? My friend wanted to know

Offline muncher

« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2010, 10:19:38 AM »
Hello all - not been about too much this year - I may be doing WFL but Jelly isn't as she has selfishly decided to go to Australia during that time. (Personally I cant imagine what australia has to offer thats better than WFL but hey, who knows!)
so yeah will register soon and join the team - this will be the 4th year running I have done the walk!
over the years I have seen - Alan Carr, - Graham Norton, - Danii Minogue, and some guys from casualty and a guy who was in neighbours - (dont ask me - janelle is the celeb hunter!) I also got to see a really bad george micheal lookalike.
I also saw guys wearing dresses made from flip flops, a dog wearing a suit, countless random stuff and got to wee in a portaloo on stilts (mind your head.)
Robinangered - I can jump down 5 feet (1.5m) with not too much probs but - I haven't been on my stilts since i dislocated my shoulder in summer last year... maybe I should get some training in!
Take care all and message me on facebook if you need  (I check that regularly)

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2010, 12:34:22 PM »
That is a remix of this also used on a readybrek add

Jason  :Hoofies2: :CGEEK:

[youtube=425,350]mcrcx1abm2M[/youtube]