Author Topic: Buying new stilts which stilts to buy?  (Read 4363 times)

Offline EALES09

• Me doing my first proper trick
Buying new stilts which stilts to buy?
« on: April 12, 2010, 06:48:26 PM »
Hi everyone just a quick question, plus advise on which are the best springs to get other than powerskips  as i have already got some stilts but want to be able to bounce higher and then go on to do flips.
if any knows which are a good stilt to buy then please let me know

cheers
 :Cbiggrin:  :Cbiggrin:  :PJR: :PJL: :PJR: :PJL: :Straddle5: :Becky: :PJ101John: :Nero: :Hoofies2: :spudT:

Offline dark-castles2

• PJF Contributor
  • Elite Member
  • A-F-RO!
Re: Buying new stilts which stilts to buy?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2010, 07:55:24 PM »
Ok from top to bottom

1.Powerskips(£300)
2.7leagueboots(£160)
3.Powerisers(£120)
4.ProJump(£70)
6.A piece of cardboard (free)
7.Skyrunners

Hope this helps

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2010, 08:19:12 PM »
What stilts do you have

I find that there is a very fine line that gets you the best height

A good guide is that if you can bottom your stilts out very rarely when you are pushing very hard you are either on the right weight or you could go slightly higher

If you bottom on every really hard push or can bottom them at will you need a higher weight

If you are getting some height and hardly bending your springs (take a vid and pause it to see) you are either on to higher weight of you are not fit/experienced enough and need to bock more often

I find the latest batch of PJ carbon springs to be the best yet if you get the right weight

I have seen good height on poweriSer MK1's but they are very hard to find now and lots of people advertise them and sell you cheap copys (I have been told to avoid the MK2 by people I trust as they have build problems)

Jason  :Hoofies2: :CGEEK:

Offline dark-castles2

• PJF Contributor
  • Elite Member
  • A-F-RO!
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2010, 09:24:16 PM »
Jason has a good point, I can get fantastic height out of my new Pro-Jump springs 5 maybe 6 foot now(when I really push). Its about preference really (except bottom range stilts, skyrunnerrs) In my experience I get best height out of 640Powerskip springs, but they are just to expensive :(
DC

Offline daveydoodoo

• DaveyDooDoo
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2010, 11:29:44 PM »

1.Powerskips(£300)

Hey folks,

dark-castles2 where are you finding Powerskips for £300? I've done a quick google search and all the one's I'm finding are around the £600 mark.

I'm looking at buying my first set of stilts but as with any new purchase need to make sure they are right and from previous experience  research is the key.

The last thing I want to do is bung out £300 quid to then find out that if I had got them from Joe Bloggs that I would have paid half of that, but I also need to make sure it's the real thing or I might as well use cardboard.

Hope you can help.

Thanks In Advance.

Davey

Offline dark-castles2

• PJF Contributor
  • Elite Member
  • A-F-RO!
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2010, 12:14:40 AM »
thats just for the springs!!!!

Offline daveydoodoo

• DaveyDooDoo
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2010, 12:27:10 AM »
That makes more sense. Now I feel like a real noob!!! Thanks for the speedy reply.

Davey

Offline Spud

• Mod
  • Elite Member
  • Yeah! I'm a waffle!
    • EA Bockers
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2010, 09:17:26 AM »

1.Powerskips(£300)

Hey folks,

dark-castles2 where are you finding Powerskips for £300? I've done a quick google search and all the one's I'm finding are around the £600 mark.

I'm looking at buying my first set of stilts but as with any new purchase need to make sure they are right and from previous experience  research is the key.

The last thing I want to do is bung out £300 quid to then find out that if I had got them from Joe Bloggs that I would have paid half of that, but I also need to make sure it's the real thing or I might as well use cardboard.

Hope you can help.

Thanks In Advance.

Davey

I think projumps would be a great start pair for you. The new carbon springs are great and they are just generally a great first pair. Just make tire socks or something of the like and spray the joints with silicone spray often and they will serve you very very well.

You could go out and buy the best now. But economically, it is probably not the best thing to start on. While you learn you will not be able to get the full benefit of a set of stilts like powerskips and by the time you are ready you might need to upgrade springs and fix bits and bobs on the frames so learn on a set of projumps and upgrade, if you want to, when you projumps get tired or you need to go for a higher spring class anyway.

:spudT:

Offline daveydoodoo

• DaveyDooDoo
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2010, 11:48:16 AM »
Hey Spud,

Thanks for your input. I've just ordered a pair of pro-jump + and they should be with me tomorrow. Even better is the fact that tomorrow is my day off so will have the whole day to run around on them and get used to them.  :Cyes:

What are tire socks? Sorry another noob question.

Offline dark-castles2

• PJF Contributor
  • Elite Member
  • A-F-RO!
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2010, 11:53:33 AM »
Hey can I relate you to this part of the forum for 'Tyre Socks'

http://www.projumpforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=1050.0

Offline Spud

• Mod
  • Elite Member
  • Yeah! I'm a waffle!
    • EA Bockers
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2010, 12:05:55 PM »
Yep. Check DCs link for tiresocks. Probably best to do it quite soon. The hoofs can wear quite quickly. Also, before you use your bocks it would be worth you taping your springs. Actually, check out the mods section on the menu at the top and you will should find some info about it. When you learn it is common to knock the springs together and it can damage them so protecting them helps a lot.make a habit of spraying the joints with silicone spray before you use them too just to lengthen the life of the bushings.

Let us know how you get on with them and also, where in the uk are you?

Offline daveydoodoo

• DaveyDooDoo
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2010, 12:31:33 PM »
Thanks, I'll have a look, but i'll have to do it later as got to go to work, and if i read it know, I won't move.

I'm in Norwich. Well Thorpe St Andrew, I've tried emailing EA Bockers but have got a email failed reply back, but have joined the facebook group so hopefully will have some more luck from that end.

Offline Spud

• Mod
  • Elite Member
  • Yeah! I'm a waffle!
    • EA Bockers
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2010, 12:38:14 PM »
Ah. I might be able to get that fixed today. I am an EA and i live near acle. Welcome and i hope to see you at a meet sometime! Sorry bout the email!!

Offline EALES09

« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2010, 09:50:29 PM »
i think ill just save and get powerskips /powerskips pro not sure which 1s as i cant adjust to the walking feet but may  make my self adjust

Offline dark-castles2

• PJF Contributor
  • Elite Member
  • A-F-RO!
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2010, 10:02:00 PM »
To tell the truth you are better going for powerskip pro, only a little more but they are well worth it just for the moving footplate :D
DC

Offline Spud

• Mod
  • Elite Member
  • Yeah! I'm a waffle!
    • EA Bockers
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2010, 07:30:07 AM »
Some people just dont get on with them. But jason does restrict his so you can probably lock them down somehow. But you know, if you really dont like it dont force yourself lol. I dont get on with them. Paul from the eas had or maybe has standard skips. I think chris does too. And maybe joe.

Offline dark-castles2

• PJF Contributor
  • Elite Member
  • A-F-RO!
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2010, 09:54:01 AM »
Na just give them away ill give you my 7leagues for the PowerSkip Pro :p
DC

Offline EALES09

« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2010, 07:48:29 PM »
temptiing lol i got to have a long hard think :PJL:

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2010, 08:02:10 PM »
I do restrict the travel of my walking feet due to a damaged ankle at first and later I found I liked to be able to find a "bottom"whan I push my feet forwards

When I first damaged my ankle I fixed the walking feet still (easy just one bolt) until I could use it again

When you get used to the movement it really is awful going back to fixed
It takes about a week to convert so don't be put of on your first 10 mins (I hated them but had put so much effot into building them)

One other thing I know they are dearer but if tou buy the walking feet and really don't like them you can either fix them down of sell the bits to someone who wants them and replace them with a fixed foot

If you but the fixed feet you will never know if the walking are better

Jason  :Hoofies2: :CGEEK:

Offline dark-castles2

• PJF Contributor
  • Elite Member
  • A-F-RO!
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2010, 08:37:34 PM »
Moving footplate all the way :P

Offline Hammy

• Voted RR's Group Clown
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2010, 09:20:43 PM »
why dont you just buy a pair of moving footplates. You seem to buy a new pair of stilts every month. :spudT:

Offline dark-castles2

• PJF Contributor
  • Elite Member
  • A-F-RO!
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2010, 09:22:50 PM »
Lol, because instead of buying a pair a month I can buy a really good pair that last 2 months :P
And excuse me this pair have lasted me 3 months so far :D
DC