Author Topic: General danger  (Read 4534 times)

Treecat

General danger
« on: September 05, 2006, 08:41:34 PM »
Hi, I'm one of those people who desperately wants one of these, but isn't allowed to, for the reasons that a) it's dangerous, b) is expensive, and c) might be bad for muscles/bones/tendons (I have no idea if this is true, but is it a possibility, anyone?).
If anyone could, without being too biased, tell me the risks, problems and whether they're worth it, then it would be greatly helpful.
Thanks
Andrew

Offline l7ttledevil

• Would u like to stroke my tash?
Re: General danger
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2006, 08:47:13 PM »
I heard somewhere that its low impact like cycling so not a problem for joints etc but don't know how reliable it was or not??

The obvious risks like falling on your face can be cushioned by wearing pads, ok they don't stop u falling down but they stop u breaking things when u meet the ground.

And yes they're not cheap either but sooooo much fun u'll wonder how u ever got on without any before :D

Ben

Treecat

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2006, 09:11:46 PM »
I am also 34 kg, and 13 years old, what weight should I consider getting?

Offline l7ttledevil

• Would u like to stroke my tash?
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2006, 07:58:57 AM »
think you might need the junior sizes matey, 34 kilos isn't an awful lot and i'm not sure but i think that the adult pro jumps start at 60kg (feel free to correct me if i'm wrong i'm just posting from memory)

Ben

Offline Lukey

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2006, 07:43:19 PM »
I'd investigate the junior pair, take a look at Pro=-Jumps main pages.

Re: Dangers

*- NOT WEARING PADS. Before you put on your risers, get a set of pads, I'd reccomend a Tripak from Ridethehill.com , £25. I use them and they're great.
*- Pushing yourself too far, trying to jump before you can walk for example.
*- Going out in public, ideally get a decent feel for your PRs in your own street or back garden, local carpark before parading down the highstreet like we do!!
*- Floor surfaces - avoid marble and grass, areas of moisture as well as sand. Sand gets in your joints & bearings - its just bad news

Offline Pepperkayn

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2006, 04:31:38 PM »
Maybe consider the next size up - so you don't outgrow them too quickly!

Pepperkayn

Offline td@dob.com

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2006, 08:02:23 PM »
wot shall i get im 50 kg shall i get the adult m60 for 60kg
« Last Edit: September 08, 2006, 08:12:54 PM by td@dob.com »

Offline danpne

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2006, 11:38:28 AM »
Hi all,

You should always get the correct pair for your weight, never buy the next size up as this would not be springy enough or you, so the person who is 34Kg should buy the 40Kg pair and the person who is 50Kg should select the 50Kg pair.

Dan

PS I agree kneepads, elbowpads and wrist protectors are strongly recommended a helmet would be ideal too (perhaps bmx style)

Offline Ogi

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2006, 10:01:44 AM »
If you're really concerned about breaking bones. I'd suggest the full on Motocross body armour, something like:-
That's what I am using, then looking at MX knee protectors and probably a full face cycle helmet at some point!

Cheers for now,
Carl.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2007, 05:13:21 PM by webmaster »