Author Topic: Bock clicks when spring is flexed  (Read 2744 times)

Offline noob_bock

• an-aim-ation
Bock clicks when spring is flexed
« on: July 10, 2010, 03:05:46 PM »
I'm new to bocking, I got given a second hand pair of stilts when someone I knew moved away, and they're in pretty good nick by the looks of it (not much wear, no damage, etc).

The only problem I've found is that the right one seems to make a clicking noise when I put weight on it. I've checked the shock absorber, thats fine and not shifted, missing or broken. The bushings seem ok too, same level of wear as the left one, and I can't find any bolts that seem loose or over tightened.

Is there anyone that can help shed some light on it? I can't seem to pinpoint where the noise is coming from at all and I just want to know if there's any way I can fix it.

Thanks

Offline stewjoe

Re: Bock clicks when spring is flexed
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2010, 03:17:42 PM »
Grab the frame in one hand and the spring in the other, if there is play and the spring moves up and down then its your bushings.

Offline Bbmthbloke

• Elite Member
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2010, 05:35:10 PM »
try oiling the stilt. See if that removes the noise.  bike oil will work  or WD40 (tho not 4 long it drys out).  But dont worry too much ...mine sound terrible, but still bounce :Claugh:

Clicking may b just ya stilts way of saying 'love me more'...just give um some tlc :Csmile:

Also, where r u?  there mayb some1 close to offer 1st hand advice  and keep u company
« Last Edit: July 10, 2010, 05:48:51 PM by Bbmthbloke »

Offline noob_bock

• an-aim-ation
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2010, 06:20:22 PM »
Thank you both ^_^

From testing the frame and spring I think it's the bushing on the bottom of the spring. So I will remedy that as soon as I can :)

And not too far from Cardiff, I know the Welsh Bockers are down that way so I'll see if I can get some information off them on maintenance as I know pretty much nothing!

thank you again x

Offline Spud

• Mod
  • Elite Member
  • Yeah! I'm a waffle!
    • EA Bockers
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2010, 08:05:24 AM »
Most peoples bocks click a little and it is usually down to the bushings. You will need to replace that loose bushing to stop it. Don't worry too much.

If possible get yourself some silicone spray. Avoid the WD40 imo, it's not much good on bocks. Spray the joints on your bocks with the silicone spray before you go out and your bushings will last much longer..

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2010, 12:11:55 PM »
Spot on Spud

Just to clear the what lubricant to use

Q has 7's that have bronze bushes so bike oil (3 in 1) etc is fine and WD40 is ok as a stopgap so long as you oil them later

Any bocks with nylon bushes (al except 7's) oil is a bad move as it causes nylon to swell and soften and will very quickly ruin them
WD40 isn't as bad but it is not a lubricant so only lasts a very short time (hours if your lucky)

The thing to use on nylon bushes is Silicon (Lubricant or grease ) at a push some furniture polishes will work (even the beeswax ones)

So on PJ's use Silicon not Oil

Jason  :Hoofies2: :CGEEK:

Offline Bbmthbloke

• Elite Member
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2010, 07:16:20 PM »
Ok  somewhere, if I can find it ( un jason u have just had a pm on me trying to find stuff, d'oh, hehe) ive got some , admittingly 'out of date' , combat grade,supersonic , grafite lubricant for aircraft...can I use that...and where ( un no rude answers...ive already tried  :Cbiggrin:)

ps  a gift  from our much loved and dearly missed chum  tundraH   'the spring slayer'

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2010, 07:24:40 PM »
Graphite lubricant is used for "Dry" lubrication

The main reason for using it is cold temperature (Extreme cold)

It is used on high altitude aircraft and spacecraft

Grease freezes at very low temps and locks things solid so is a no-no in space

Finally the answer Q yes you can use almost anything to lube 7's  :Claugh:

Might work on Nylon but not sure (can't see any reason why not though)

Jason  :Hoofies2: :CGEEK: