Author Topic: i give up!!!  (Read 2759 times)

Offline mandy077

i give up!!!
« on: October 11, 2010, 05:11:14 PM »
i just give up been tryin to fix these stupid jumps for the last 4 hours!!!!!

ive taken the spring back off and put it back following the tutorial, now it seems either the spring is able to move or its the frame.either way ive checked all the nuts and bolts they are fine yet it still has loads of play.

this right boot has nothing but problems could it be faulty!

any help guys coz im just finking of buying new ones

thanks

Offline XS

Re: i give up!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2010, 05:18:37 PM »
the bushings are probably worn out.

Offline Bbmthbloke

• Elite Member
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2010, 05:21:06 PM »
how old r the stilts, wot make  and wot was the nature of the problem ( and where on the stilt) was the problem?

Offline mandy077

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2010, 05:47:41 PM »
there  under a yr old ,ive got the calf cuffs. they seemed fine b4 the spring snapped. im not sure were the problem is. i fink it mite be nut n bolt under the front of the foot plate,ive checked the top bolts by the calf cuffs. when im jumping the right boot kicks out ,i cant reil do ne fing on them at the mo.

what r the bushing ???

thanks
just needed to vent earlier stabbed the screwdriver in2 my hand getting the tyer sock off  :Csmile:

Offline Bbmthbloke

• Elite Member
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2010, 05:53:56 PM »
try putting the stilts on the opposite legs and have a bit of a bounce about...see if you get the same prob on left leg.....we then narrow down the the prob is deffo the stilt

Offline mandy077

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2010, 06:04:29 PM »
kool i will try tht
 off out in a bit so will let ya no

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2010, 07:31:43 PM »
You need to find out which bit is loose

I know this sounds obvious but without a definate problem area you will just keep going round in circles

If the stilt was fine and when you broke the spring and replaced it your problems started the odds are that you have either not put something back right or got the stilts twisted when you replaced the spring

First how to test them

Bit difficult to explain but I will try

If you grasp the spring in one hand just behind where your heel would be if you were wearing them then grasp the heel section of the bockwith the other hand
Now try to move the heel section side to side while you hold the spring still

Try this with the good stilt first and then the problem one
If the heel moves sideways more than about 3mm then you have either worn bushes or something loose and that will be your problem

If both stilts move the same amount the worn bushes arn't causing your problem

When you say you followed the tutorial did you mean this one

http://www.projumpforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=2337.0

If so I have been meaning to add a bit to it as sometimes when you change the spring you can force the joints to one side or the other when you tighten the bolts up

The cure for this is to set the foot plate up square as in the first section and then loosen all the bolts on the moving joints (4 per stilt) also loosten the 4 bolts that hold the spring to the brackets (yes I know the hoof end is a pain but it is wort while doing to get them straight)

All the bolts need to be nipped up so you can just move the brackets/joints with a little bit of effort but not to loose so they wobble about

Next run the string through the hole and push the spring to make the stilt straight (I tend to push mine slightly outwards as I find they ballance better) If you check the good stilt with the string and find it is set to one side then you might want to set the bad stilt to the opposite way (so the string is either outside or inside on both stilts)

Now you slowly tighten the bolts a little bit at a time each (this will stop the stilts warping as you tighten them )
Check that they are straight (or set to your prefered side ) after each tighten and if needed push the spring over to correct any problem

I know this sound complex but I can sort a pair of stilts in less than 20 mins (Lot easier to show than tell  :Claugh:)

If you are still having problems after this post some pics or vids and I will try to thing of something else

Jason

Offline mandy077

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2010, 10:44:04 PM »
thanks jason
 i will give it another try lol
 i noticed wen i was out that if put pressure on the front of the hoof the frame  feels likes it moving , this is the same feeling i had just b4 my last spring snapped!!!
 when i jump the rod on the inside presses against my foot(reil hurts ) and wen i run my rt leg is twisting inwards

i would put up a pic / vid but my cam as given up to lol :Claugh:
 hope this trys to explain some what.