Author Topic: Getting paid to bock  (Read 1886 times)

Offline XDvandalDJ

• XD
    • XD Bockers
Getting paid to bock
« on: March 07, 2011, 09:04:06 PM »
How many of you guys have ever gotten paid to bock at a show or something?

My club has been booked for events in town. But the majority of them we've done for free food or drinks. But those shows have really got us out there and we're getting asked a lot more.

For instance we have two different events on April 16th that want us to perform and be apart of their event.

So basically, what rates would you think would even be reasonable to charge?

Leader of the

Offline XS

Re: Getting paid to bock
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2011, 09:26:27 PM »
Talk to Locky, he's got lots of experience with this kind of thing with the  Welsh Bockers.  I've only done one paid job on my stilts and it was walking around handing out fliers, I didn't really have much fun so wouldn't do that kind of thing again personally.  That's very different than performing, I'd give that a go if given the opportunity.

Offline XDvandalDJ

• XD
    • XD Bockers
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2011, 09:58:39 PM »
I've gotten paid by myself before. But that was doing a performance for a Sam's Club company picnic, and another fundraiser run by the company. So I got paid my normal hourly wage.

So figuring out what to even suggest if someone asks is a bit tricky. I've never really considered charging for our shows before. As we do all this for fun.

But of course getting any money like a tip wouldn't hurt to cover gas, and to maybe help support the club. As most of the money comes out of my pocket to run it.

The next time Locky pops online I'll ask him about it.

Also I've handed out stickers at a tech convention before and that was pretty boring. I much prefer being able to jump around.
Leader of the

Offline Locky

• Elite Member
  • I only like people who are nuts.
    • Welsh Bockers
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2011, 11:06:02 PM »
There is no easy answer to this. It depends what your show consists of, how many people are involved, how long are you on for, what type of client is it for, what sort and size of audience.

The best answer I can give you without these factors is get as much as you can :)

When we do things for charities (kids charities and stuff we do free) or non-profits we just ask for a donation to the club and they give whatever they can afford and it goes towards our insurance, club shirts etc.

Offline XDvandalDJ

• XD
    • XD Bockers
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2011, 11:24:36 PM »
Donations is really all that seems appropriate really. I'll just tell them to pay based upon how much they liked us.
Leader of the