Author Topic: Off road and wet weather feet!  (Read 13437 times)

Offline merlyn

Off road and wet weather feet!
« on: July 09, 2007, 10:33:45 PM »
Ok... I said I had posted this before but it didn't show up  :( So here goes agin...

If you want to go on wet grass and have trouble with grip then this is for you...

I made my own spiked feet to fit onto the type of PROJUMP feet that have removable rubbers on them so that I could go out ANY time it's not raining, even if it is but thats rare in anyones book.

Firstly the ingredients

Two strips of metel (steel is good) the same size as the foot plate
          A load of clout nails (normaly for roofing felt)
          Some hot melt glue
          Eight nuts and bolts to hold them on
          Super glue (makes it easy but not absolutely needed)

Method

1 ) Cut metal to the same size as the base of the foot.

2 ) Bend the metal to the shape of the foot. It is easy if you bend it round something with a slightly smaller diameter than the radius (curve) of the foot as the metal will spring back a fraction.

3 ) Drill the holes to attach to the foot with bolts and check the alienment

4 ) Drill the holes for the nails (in rows makes cleaning easier than off set rows)

5 ) Push nails through and tap home with hammer if the ridges near the base of the nail catch (closer the fit the better).

6 ) Apply a dot of super glue to the nails as they come through the plate to stop them wobbling in the next stage.

7 ) Apply hot melt glue to the back of the plates to fill the gaps between the nail heads to stop the moving about OR twisting and smooth down flush to the heads with a putty knife or similar scr***er.

8 ) Clean out bolt holes and bolt to feet.

9 ) Run around like a lunatic whooping for joy on the wet grass as yer mates fall around you!

Enjoy and feed back is cool, gave a first go on PROJUMPS to a friend the other day and he was walking and jumping in around 25 mins on grass in the rain.... so they work!  8)

I'd rather go Poi with myself!

check out www.chimaeracircus.co.uk

Offline webmaster

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • Aka Naz :)
    • Pro-Jump.co.uk - Original Patent Protected stilts
Re: Off road and wet weather feet!
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2007, 10:49:22 PM »
Excellent tutorial & review Merlyn

Offline English-tailor

• Elite Member
  • Piste off MoFo's
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2007, 07:03:04 AM »
what size are the nuts and bolts?

Offline merlyn

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2007, 05:28:54 PM »
err to be honest I'll have to check and post later but I think they were M8 bolts.

The easy way is that they were the same size as the ones holding the rubbers on when they arrived but longer.

They were too long when I got them (and you need nuts to, self locking nylock nuts are good) and i cut them down to size

One VERY good tip I can give you is that when you cut the bolts, run the nuts on first to just below where you are going to cut and then once cut file the end a little to clean it up.  Now when you run the nut up and off it 'cleans' up the thread as it goes over it from the good side so that it is MUCH easier to get in on again later.   ;)

Offline x_Rave_Dave_x

• www.myspace.com/dave_5674
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2007, 08:34:58 PM »
ill make tire socks so i got grip on grass :)

Offline merlyn

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2007, 12:18:56 AM »
Yup know that one.  I was using tyre feet for a while but the thing was I wore them out too quickly for one and the other was the grip was better but not good enough to be truely relaxed even when the rain/drizzle starts (and you using fire staffs...).  I also found that to many spin/piroets and the k**bbles on the bmx/uncycle tyre just wore flat and it was back to square one.

When I was using the tyre method I also made a small plate to go over the tyre between the two nuts on top of the foot to clamp it down on the top but this was a pian in the arse to change, though safer.  The grip feet I made are quicker to change than tyre covers and give more grip.

If you make these then there is NO slip at all, so not just improved grip but total grip it's like being on tarmac in the sun  8)

I plan to get round to making and testing a version some time for the molded on rubber feet that will attach and detatch like cramp-ons used by mountaineers! but this the busy time of year and what with all the festivals I just haven't had time  ;) ... but when I do I will post again and provide pic's.

Offline x_Rave_Dave_x

• www.myspace.com/dave_5674
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2007, 07:48:07 AM »
cool they are not for me personaly as ill be useing mineon and off grass in the days so ill be like on the grass and decide to go into town thats why bumpy mountain tire tire socks are for me got my tutorial in making em :)

;D

dave

Offline tundraH

• I'm just me and you aren't. :-P
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2007, 08:52:36 AM »
Please be careful jumping with those, you could mangle someones foot with them.

Although on a plus side you could also go around picking up litters with them. lol
Fighting for peace is like f*#king for virginity

Sig designed by Sprog

Jason injures himself so I don't have to be injured.

Proud member of the "The Banned Bockers"

"If I Live, I will kill you, If I Die, You are forgiven." Such is the Rule of Honor.

Offline merlyn

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2007, 06:10:06 PM »
;D   So far I haven't wlaked, jumped, danced etc on anyone's feet!    Phew........ but yeah they probably would hurt  ::)   Also loving the idea of all the park attendants bouncing round picking up litter, in fact can I apply for the job??

The going on road bit is totally valid but they were designed for me/us for when Chimaera are at festivals so off road for days at a time on grass/mud (did you see the pics of Glastonbury this year? yes it was that bad, trust) so we don't slip whilst performing as can happen on wet grass with rubbers on, not for down the road to the park and back.

Also I did mention that I intend to make and then 'howto' for the forum, quickly applied/removed version for rubbered feet so that the aim is to have them on or off in approx 20secs each or less (might as well go for it!)....... well thats the plan and I have the rough design in my head but watch this space to see (but not for a bit as I'm about to be away for a couple of weeks at Eastern Haze and then Play festival, say hi if ya see me)

Feed back and further ideas/comments/suggestions/feedback are VERY VERY welcome  ;D

Offline DePaw

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2007, 10:48:57 AM »
Wow. Now it'll hurt even more when you kick people in your bocks. Don't the nails points get worn down really fast on pavement? How is the gcip on hard surfaces and does walking on grass, etc in these slow you down slightly as the nails must bu pulled out of the ground before the foot will move. Thanks.

Dark Knight

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2007, 08:58:31 PM »
Great minds I never seen yours but I'm working on the same thing ( The wet thing got me ). My hoofs are/where the solid rubber and I was about to take the rubber off but brought new hoofs and there like yours with the metal aready on !

You use glue where I was planing on a thin layers of rubber/cloth ( metal, rubber , nails , rubber then Hoof ) it would make quieter.

I work on on machine with rubber roller that we get recovered and was going to see them about coating metal plates and many adding a tread pattern.

Like I said the new hoof I have are metal/rubber so I'm about to find out about the rubber covered plates ASP !  ;D
« Last Edit: August 29, 2007, 05:56:35 PM by Dark Knight »

Offline Bbmthbloke

• Elite Member
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2007, 09:18:19 PM »
erm  why go out on bocks in dark wet weather?  its horrible.  stay in open a bt of wine un watch a dvd

Dark Knight

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2007, 10:45:45 PM »
In the dark I put my lights on my PJ's !
Wet it's only rain I own a jet-ski and sit around all day in a wet sponge !
I don't drink ( well I drink, just not acahol )
DVD ?I  watch them once and I don't need to watch them again !?

Dark Knight

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2007, 05:59:29 PM »

Like I said the new hoof I have are metal/rubber so I'm about to find out about the rubber covered plates ASP !  ;D

I've got to look on the net they couldn't help  ???

Offline merlyn

« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2007, 02:09:14 AM »
Why go out in the dark and wet????

Coz I spent at least half the summer at festivals.... away this week too, and it rained a lot so you just gota go play any way  ;D

Right at the moment though I am out of practice as I nearly Blew my hand off with 20 x 2.5 & 4 x 3inch shells firing a pyrotechnics display.... as you do ::)

I plan to try again (broken knuckle and vibration, should be healed enough now) in the next week.  I too have lights, green led forward (7 pattern), red led backwards (7 pattern) and motion activated UV on the springs in between UV active spikes down the spine  8)

I wanted UV EL wire but couldn't find any..... open to help....??

As to the wear on hard ground, not good and poss some nails bending but then they were for off road. Slow me down?? No way the extra grip give the confidence to really leggit!  Jump, run, dance and prat about in the rain/wet/mud if the mood takes you.... remember you can stay feet above the mud with them on  ;)

I plan a fit on/off version (mk one not quite right but has been tested in shows in the rain by Tim of Chimaeracirus.co.uk with me) quick release like cramp on's for mountianeers

Offline aidanh1

• Elite Member
  • KATIEE :D <3
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2007, 12:32:30 PM »
so if u stood on somones toe it would hurt?

:P

i carnt spel... or maybe you cant read ;)

Offline JJags32MJD

« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2007, 05:59:11 AM »
Haha those look like they could kill somebody. Sweet! :P
I am American.
I cant wait to get some bocks!

Offline Nero

• Elite Member
  • Just bounce!
    • Team Sky High
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2007, 10:06:44 AM »
they look like full on emo bocks, i love how inventive this community is though

“Life is not a journey to the grave with intentions of arriving safely in a pretty well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming ... WOW! What a ride!”

Offline Ghosti

• Sup
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2008, 02:24:05 PM »
 :biggrin: They look great but what happens if you want to go on both grass and concrete. wont you bend all the spikes, or are they a quick detachable type of thing.

Offline theonlysilenthunter

« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2008, 09:48:53 PM »
Have you tried ebay for the EL Wire!! I'm thinking of getting some aswell!!