Author Topic: Capital Bockering 2010  (Read 35447 times)

Offline Locky

• Elite Member
  • I only like people who are nuts.
    • Welsh Bockers
Capital Bockering 2010
« on: September 03, 2009, 09:29:06 PM »
11 o'clock, tomorrow, down the bay :)

This post is based on my own opinion and assumptions so please respect that.
I would like CB 2010 to be in cardiff next year on the basis that it changes from previous years.
I am more than willing to put in the leg work but this is what I want:

1. Still have the oval basin (location for CB 08) but for a freestyle, group meet hangout.

2. Hire either Cardiff indoor arena or the millenium stadium to make an indoor bocking centre, including a public workshop area where members of the public can come and try bocking for free. There would also be a market area where stilt companies can have a stall and also those members who have anything to sell/swap etc.
The bocking area will be designed by us to the best possible effect we can. Gym equipment, foam pits, blocks of all kinds and sizes. You get the picture.

3. Camping at Cardiff Campsite, restricted to 100 people (not 100 tents), subject to agreement with the campsite management.

4. Most of us stay at nearby hotels, within walking distance of the bay. This would allow a night bocking session and allow us to chill out and have a drink etc for those who wish.

I know this seems impossibly ambitions and maybe it is but if we dont aim high, we wont get any results. If we dont change the way CB is run then it will probably dwindle each year as more bockers will chose to go to the bigger events. For that to happen we need money and lots of it.
I am in talks with one company that are interested in backing us and have experience of something very similar already. They also have excellent marketing links to get some serious media coverage.
There is also this option which we could apply for, though this could lead to complications.

I would also like to see the whole event sponsored by several companies. Some would be big national brands and some would be smaller.

With the exception of travelling and camping/hotel (which deals could be made) I do not want the event costs to be passed on to the bockers attending.

I would ask all bockers attending be willing to volunteer 30 mins of their time over the 2 days to staff the public workshop. This will be done in a logical manor, with those most experienced with bocking and workshops being asked first.

I do not want this thread to turn into a 20 page ramble about crap. For that reason, on the new Capital Bocking website - www.capitalbocking.co.uk I am going to open up a public chatroom for next Monday night at 8pm where everyone can come and have their say. A summary of the chat can be posted up later.

If anyone has any valid points to make, please save them for the chat session or afterwards as we'll have a much clearer picture on what we want to happen then.

I am well aware that some of these goals are a far stretch but please do not dismiss them out of the water. If we dont take CB up to the next level then I dont see much point in continuing with it at all.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2010, 08:44:15 PM by Locky »

Offline Trixter

• EA Bocker
  • Elite Member
  • Leapfrog Expert
Re: Capital Bockering 2010
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2009, 09:38:42 PM »
Nice early start locky hope it works well probly will miss most of the chat due to work (get home around 9) but will catch up on the notes etc n pass on ne thoughts of what i read if i miss the whole topic much love xxxx

Offline Athoul

• PJF Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2009, 09:59:01 PM »
Sounds awesome!

I definitely agree that Capital Bocking needs to take the next step now, its just got such a potential as an event. With sponsorship i think hiring an indoor area is a brilliant idea, and such a backup incase one of the days gets rained off.

If you need a hand with any of the organisation stuff Matt just let me know.
If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room!

Offline chocl8

• EA Bocker
  • Elite Member
  • Ready for Backflip?
    • EA Bockers - It's in the Springs!
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2009, 10:24:34 PM »
Sounds awesome!

I definitely agree that Capital Bocking needs to take the next step now, its just got such a potential as an event. With sponsorship i think hiring an indoor area is a brilliant idea, and such a backup incase one of the days gets rained off.

If you need a hand with any of the organisation stuff Matt just let me know.

:approve: - What Rich said :)

Offline sprog

• Elite Member
  • Not enough time in the day to bock anymore...
    • The Jurassic Jumpers
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2009, 10:25:30 PM »
As always... I'm in Locky :Csmile:

Offline dark-castles2

• PJF Contributor
  • Elite Member
  • A-F-RO!
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2009, 10:30:43 PM »
Count me in :D

Need any help just shout.

DC

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2009, 10:52:25 PM »
Where do I sign up  :Cbiggrin:

Seriously though Locky well done it would be nice to have good camping and I like the idea of an indoor bit so Rock On

Jason  :Hoofies2: :CGEEK:

Offline Jack

• EA Bocker
    • www.eabockers.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2009, 11:02:07 PM »
Locky your just win :)

Offline scruff

• Jump! How High??
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2009, 10:32:37 AM »
Count me in on this one
I so want to come to capital bocking now   :Csmile:

Offline Mini Ellis

• EA Bocker
  • Elite Member
  • Mini Ellis <3 Greggles
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2009, 10:33:23 AM »
I <3 Locky =]
And if you need me you know where i am :D
(just south WOMAN and ill come running :P)

Love
xxxxxx

Offline Bbmthbloke

• Elite Member
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2009, 04:15:47 PM »
Well soz I cant make the chat room as im off on a course. However, im not sure it is the best forum ( by that mean mode of communication), sorry. Id also I suggest it is rather quick. With no or little time for others to research and prepair different suggestions and venues or even questions. Locky you may not want this thread to ramble on and on. But there is no reason why it shouldnt. Some may prefer this way of expressing themselves and this gives a permanent record to go back to.

As for changing the way the event is run. There is something to be said for it being put together by popular debate, it means it really belongs to everyone of us. I think building directly on previous efforts, adapting adding on will make the sport more sustainable. With more people willing to take a hand in the organisation and administration of this sport which will ,I would say of more importance than  asingle big event. Indeed Id go for CB being mainly for us to have fun and promoting the sport 2nd.

I also like to push the idea that CB shouldnt be seen as a stand alone high point to our year, but the centre of a plateau of events.

As always , I have to confess,  my vote would also go for London as the venue. Cant put my hand to my A-Z so i cant give you a suggested route and reasons, but it will always be there as a backup.

As I said Id like to see more larger events staged. with this is mind I have been musing about the May Bank Holidays, particularly the Whitsun ( thats the 2nd one folks) for a Portsmouth event.

Sat  Power (basket) ball contest and a treasure hunt round the city and seafront for those not contesting or when not contesting. Eve beach barbi and nite bock
Sun, going by 'the day after' at this years CB there are 2 desires by people. 1 have a real good bock  or 2   just laze about. Southsea is ideal for this ( weather permitting d'oh). With the beach and Southsea common and a number of bock spots inbetween. add in an afternoon rounders match ( on stilts) for those that want. Thats the basis, more stuff a possiblity. Nothing ground breaking or terribly special, but it builds on what has gone before. it sets a model for others around the country and is proportionate to the size of this sport.

So basically Id say look to trying to set up 3,4 possibly 5 larger events around the country between say mid April and mid September. Building and expanding on what we already have and are doing, focusing minds locally for national effect.

So sorry for being a decenting voice here.

Offline raverkyle

• all my pants fit over my bocks whooo hooo
    • the leeds bockers(friends website)
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2009, 08:21:32 PM »
i think London or Birmingham or even Manchester would all make good venues as they have a lot of choice or places to hold big events.
ill eat when im hungry,,ill drink when im thirsty and ill sleep when im darn well dead,, got 4 ur life and bock ur sox off

Offline Hilly-of-the-Marshes

• EA Bocker
  • Elite Member
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2009, 08:25:04 PM »
i think London or Birmingham or even Manchester would all make good venues as they have a lot of choice or places to hold big events.

NONONONO leave it there - there was so much arguing along that road about this year, that thats why less people wanted to come originally - its being organised with plenty of advanced notice - lets just be thankful (which i am - i look 4ward to CB 2010)

Offline raverkyle

• all my pants fit over my bocks whooo hooo
    • the leeds bockers(friends website)
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2009, 08:30:59 PM »
lol I did not mean moving it was just as alternatives if any thing fell through.
ill eat when im hungry,,ill drink when im thirsty and ill sleep when im darn well dead,, got 4 ur life and bock ur sox off

Offline Jelly

• jagermeister is the bocking medicine
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2009, 09:34:58 PM »
CARDIFF FTW!!! Jelly x

Offline lynch

« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2009, 10:08:11 PM »
you are all missing locky point he along side with many otheres dont just want capital bocking to be one big meet up
yeah it is that
but making capital bocking  a gym meet, a bocking meet and a pro mo as well well make it a even bigger meet at the same time
we should be together on this and not fighting the fact that we want bocking to grow and this will help it grow and also bring sponcers to the sport and maybe making it a full sport like bmx or skate bording 

locky if there is anythink i can do to help from my end please let me know

Offline Paul-Self

• EA Bocker
  • Elite Member
    • EA Bockers
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2009, 11:10:23 AM »
Sounds awesome and glad someones taking the time to make it into something worthwhile!

Offline muncher

« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2009, 11:36:16 AM »
I will take an 8 hour shift (with breaks) of the public workshop if you want.. I am so used to teaching now and I have injuries which mean I shouldn't bock very much. let me know mate... P

Offline Charlie B

• Elite Member
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2009, 05:11:25 PM »
Do not disagree with anything Locky has posted, all makes a very sound argument.

It is important to have the contacts and the infrastructure to make this happen. Locky has both the experience and also the contacts.

If people make suggestions for other areas you must take some time to understand the logistics that are required and who will make it happen.

I have missed two capitals beacuse of annual holiday, for what its worth if it does not clash count me in.
Grow old disgracefully

Offline Locky

• Elite Member
  • I only like people who are nuts.
    • Welsh Bockers
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2009, 02:16:24 PM »
Just a reminder that this chat will take place tonight at 8pm at www.capitalbocking.co.uk

you wont need to register or log in, just use your forum name or your first name.
This chat is open to everyone and if you cannot make it  tonight then we can probably have another one in a few weeks time hopefully with some development progress.

Offline Biohazard

• The 'Crash Test Dummy'
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2009, 05:17:28 PM »
I'm up for helping organise things, CB this year was great though only about 30-40 of us turned up.
I won't be able to join the chat tonight until about 10pm because I have ATC.

Offline sprog

• Elite Member
  • Not enough time in the day to bock anymore...
    • The Jurassic Jumpers
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2009, 06:32:53 PM »
I'll be in chat from 8.30ish onwards. Gotta go bocking first ;)

Offline adamessex

« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2009, 11:32:46 PM »
only just remembered the chat, is it still going on? i can't find the room
falling is proof your trying

Offline Athoul

• PJF Contributor
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2009, 11:37:40 PM »
Nope, we finished up at about 10ish
If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room!

Offline dark-castles2

• PJF Contributor
  • Elite Member
  • A-F-RO!
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2009, 12:59:10 AM »
any decisions made?