Author Topic: How much would you pay for a pair of stilts...  (Read 14844 times)

Offline webmaster

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • Aka Naz :)
    • Pro-Jump.co.uk - Original Patent Protected stilts
How much would you pay for a pair of stilts...
« on: November 16, 2010, 12:56:46 AM »
Just using this post as a sound bite so please be frank and honest with me :D

We've been in talks with SpeedJumper to manufacturer their Professional and Quantum models for Pro-Jump. They come with a hefty price tag of about £1050 for the Professional model and £799 for the Quantum model.  The reason for this is we have always wanted our customers to have the choice and this is maybe the only way at the moment for these stilts to be sold in the UK.

Bare in mind the following parts will be the same as the current Pro-Jump Exo Range: Cuffs, Springs, Rubber Feet, Quick Release clamp, bindings (either the ones on the Exo Pro or any of our new ones). On the quantum the footplates are also likely to be the same.

The parts that differ is the actual frame, its made using high grade aluminium and with great precision and manufactured in Germany which adds to the high cost. The finish as some have commented is almost like a work of art!

Considering we have been selling PowerSkips for the past 3 years, I think the UK market is still not ready to spend an extortionate amount on stilts and its only very few professional or extremely dedicated users that will pay over the odds for a pair...

So the questions are as follows:

1. Do you think there is a market for these stilts in the UK?

2. Do you think the price tag is justified considering many of the parts are shared with the Pro-Jump Exo Range?

3. Would you personally buy one of these stilts realistically within the next 6 months? (take into account your budget, we would all like to buy a sports car but that does not mean we will actually go out and buy one)

4. Are you a potential buyer of one of these stilts within the next 6 weeks, and would you consider putting a deposit down for one?

That's all I think, lets discuss :)

*Pic attached of a Professional in Gold, prices above are for the aluminium silver model, pic for ref only.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2010, 01:00:32 AM by webmaster »

Offline XDvandalDJ

• XD
    • XD Bockers
Re: How much would you pay for a pair of stilts...
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2010, 01:18:27 AM »
After researching these, watching videos, reading peoples takes on this model. The frame, the springs, the adjustable footplate, ect.

I would purchase these if available for that price.

I'd say honestly I'd be able to make a purchase of that level in a 1-3 months of savings. Maybe sooner!

I live state side but have a great friend who just moved to Hull.

I've always liked this quote about the SJ brand

"While on the subject of Speedjumper, Lars, one of the guys working with the company, built his own unique pair of Speedjumper Professionals. As I said to him, "that's not a pair of stilts, it's a work of art!" Indeed it is because it defies the imagination. And when he jumped on them you just freak out in total awe! On the Saturday, the public were given a show of what all the jumpers could do and of course they were delighted and gave plenty of applause. But when Lars arrived on his hand built SJ Pro's and began jumping the crowd went insane. It was just as though they were watching a fireworks display!

Ok, so we ALL wanted to know how much a pair like this would cost but Lars refused to price them because as far as he is concerned his babies are unique and he wants it to stay that way. I took plenty of photos of Lars' stilts however, I'm not sure whether I will be allowed to post them. I will ask Speedjumper and if I get the green light you will see why these stilts are unlike anything any of you have yet seen. "

Or this one.

"Yeh was a amazing weekend and the highlight for me was being able to test out speedjumper proffessional, what an amazing piece of equipment. I currenty bock on powerskip 640s but have used most brands and am
Lucky enough to get pretty good height out of most
Stilts, I can safely say nothing comes close to the speedjumper pros the height I was getting was incredible, flipping was effortless and the feeling was amazing, hopefully some videos / pics will turn up of me testing them So you can see the power in them.
Once again a big Thanks to hoff riser for making the weekend what it was and look forward to seeing you all again soon"
« Last Edit: November 16, 2010, 04:01:19 AM by XDvandalDJ »
Leader of the

Offline aidanh1

• Elite Member
  • KATIEE :D <3
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2010, 01:29:54 AM »
There is a market there are some very very keen stilters in the UK that I'm absolutely sure would buy them stilts especially for that price!

The parts as you say are shared with the Pro-jumps but them stilts also have quite a few different things with them also the nice paint job finish and stuff I think justifies the price overall, personally I wouldn't buy them though simply because of that price they wouldn't get used to there full potential :P
And in 6 months on my salary that's impossible but I would say I am a very very very small percentage of the bockers in the whole of the UK I think with the right advertising to the right people these stilts would be sold out before Christmas.

Id love to have a pair XD

i carnt spel... or maybe you cant read ;)

Offline Speedjumper

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2010, 02:06:33 AM »
For that Prices of the Quantum there are footplates made in germany without theses bad items are discussed.

They are shorter in width and made of 5mm best Aluminium. Also adjustable over a wide range to fit your shoes perfectly.

And even a few parts will used from china...there is no better bearing construction in the world in the moment. That's what all Tester notice as ...they are sooo silent. All these Detaills lead to uncomparable Jumpers. e.g. the Quantum is about 3565g with a 60th spring. There is no lighter stilt of the world. But less weight is not the only important. Less weight with a solid and longlasting construction is it. And exactly this is what we produced.

We are producing in Germany, and the fact is...honest work should be payed well. I do not will produce in China or Korea, even if the Work there will be unbeatable cheap.

Support Speedjumper! Give Quality a chance! ;-)

We calculate very short, because I know that most customer are not rich and have to care there income. And if the amount of SJ's will be increase, I will honestly try to decrease the costs and so the Prices.

Offline Speedjumper

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2010, 02:15:04 AM »
I forget to mention. As you see at the Pic: The Hoof for the Speedjumper Professional is made from solid material. Only for the Quantum we will use the cheep feet from China to reach a good Enduserprice. But customers can mod a quantum with the Profs Hoof later, or the Profs Footplate if they want. All these parts are constructed to be compatible.

The Speedjumper Professional is the Jumper with the most spring range of all Jumpers actually produced. The Quantum is a litlle bit less but even made for extrem performance.

Offline RRparlbystumble

• i spend more time repairing, than bocking.
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2010, 04:05:29 AM »
hey kind of related.. but more about more springs really

me and DC met guy in town who had custom carbon pollimer springs built by an desgin student freind of his and the hight was absolutely insane maybe these could be the future of stilts combined with the frames pictured above

sorry for the off subject reply but thought i'd mention it anyway :D

cheers.
parlby.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Offline SNuD

• PJF Contributor
    • N.E.W.C. Powerbockers
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2010, 04:10:52 AM »
They sure look good but the answers to your questions I think are bourn out in the pages of this forum.
Q1. NO there is not a significant market in this country. The majority of users are uni population age. Thus no cash. How many times do we see comments about cant afford to travel to meets, no car, e.t.c. The older users with bigger incomes have other cash drains and probably less time to play anyway.
Q2. NO the price is not acceptable considering the common parts. 400 - 500% more!!!!! Are the stilts 400 - 500% better???? This is the realm of diminishing returns, if it costs that much more to build something only a little better then it's not worth it!
Q3. NO. Can't justify the cost. See above!
Q4. NO, see above.
I will be buying a set of exo pro's hopefully in the New Year. As the improvement is within the cost and they are reasonable priced.

Growing OLD is compulsory. Growing UP is optional. OPT OUT!

Offline dark-castles2

• PJF Contributor
  • Elite Member
  • A-F-RO!
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2010, 08:13:35 AM »
To be honest I am more than willing to pay the price if what Lothar says is true, the weight, the quality it all sounds fantastic and would love to get my hands on these asap :)
However I have just noticed what Naz wrote about most of the parts being Pro-Jump :S if all the parts where made with great precision, and the up most care I would buy them, and if the frame and springs are as good as said, but if they are just Pro-Jumps with an even lighter or better built frame there is no market,
DC

Offline Nero

• Elite Member
  • Just bounce!
    • Team Sky High
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2010, 09:04:49 AM »

Yes there will always be elitists and those who must have "the best and most expensive" item on the market, they will be a small minority i believe but they are out there

2. Do you think the price tag is justified considering many of the parts are shared with the Pro-Jump Exo Range?
Nooooooot at all, basically your saying that the extra £600 is made up by 3 pieces of frame, i dont care if they are made by magical pixies and gravity defying unicorns thats just daylight robbery

3. Would you personally buy one of these stilts realistically within the next 6 months? I cant see it, they would have to be Very very very performance enhancing for me to consider throwing that sort of money at them
4. Are you a potential buyer of one of these stilts within the next 6 weeks, and would you consider putting a deposit down for one?
Nope i dont think so

“Life is not a journey to the grave with intentions of arriving safely in a pretty well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming ... WOW! What a ride!”

Offline clive

• Elite Member
  • jump as high as you can ,,worry about the landing
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2010, 09:24:32 AM »
well naz iv put these on my xmas list but dont hold much luck on getting them ,but who knows :Cbiggrin:

Offline Paul-Self

• EA Bocker
  • Elite Member
    • EA Bockers
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2010, 11:22:40 AM »

Yes i am one of the lucky people who got to test these stilts in France and they completely blew me away. I Bock once / twice a week and have used 7s pjs powerisers and currently use Powerskip 640s and bocking had never felt so effortless. I am sure once other users get a feel of these theyd want to upgrade as well. I think this is a pair of stilts that people might think little of until they have tried them as i wasnt expecting them to be as good as they were.

again yes i have tried both models and i really like the feel of the quantums and pros and ive also used the Exos and as Lothar explained he wanted to keep spare parts prices to a minimum hence the big one off payment. I have spent a hell of a lot on expensive powerskip parts and this would save me money in the long run. £325 everytime a spring snaps = not cool.

3. Would you personally buy one of these stilts realistically within the next 6 months? (take into account your budget, we would all like to buy a sports car but that does not mean we will actually go out and buy one)

100% yes have always said i would since returning from france.

Yes id put a deposit down right now. where do i pay!!!!! :P

Offline K-rock

• SkyHigh
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2010, 01:45:34 PM »

Yes i do think there is a market, if people use skips, then people will use these.

As far as I know, no. I've used the exo range for a few months now, and I was so blown away with these stilts that I cant see the SJ's being that much better for the price. I would rather stay with the Exo range and maintain them as they falter.

No, I wouldn't really be able to afford it, being a university student supporting myself. even if i could afford it, I dont know if i would indulge in a pair of them, I've really been impressed with the Exo range and would stick with those.

Not a chance
« Last Edit: November 16, 2010, 08:12:26 PM by K-rock »

Bock 'n' Roll!!

Offline Bbmthbloke

• Elite Member
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2010, 03:32:43 PM »
I believe  about this time last year I posted  that , amongst other things, I thought there was a place for a new pair of 'premium ' stilts.

I came within a wisker of buying powerskips recently. The reason I didnt? 1st the 720 springs that Id need brake very easily, I heard Clive was having alot of problems with the hooves and then, whilst I had a delay working out money transfer stuff, about the SJ's.

I heard nothing but stella reports of them. But then I heard they were mostly Pro Jump parts. So I opted to go for a pair of eXo's. But this could be 'just for the moment'. Im liking these, if in the spring I see evidence that SJ's are worth it, I could well buy. S yes I could be a buyer in 6 months, but not 6 weeks.

How big the market? Dunno. There is 1 but it will remain small. So professionals or people in work but with small commitments might well splash out.

Are they worth the mark up? That is up to the individual. But , as has been noted, cutting away all the common SJ and eXo parts means a very heavy price tag for some, admittedly high quality, aluminium.  But if they are comming in at  about 3.6Kg that is 2 less than eXo's and a wapping 5 less than 7's X rex's.

But what I am most interested in is moving footplates. Do these have them? If not then I suggest an oppertunity missed...Id be really quite keen then. I also think its some thing PJ should be looking into ( if they have not or are not already).

Rite Im off to have my afternoon nap now

Offline Locky

• Elite Member
  • I only like people who are nuts.
    • Welsh Bockers
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2010, 07:33:08 PM »
There is a market for these, just not a very big one.

I'd buy a pair, always wanted to get a pair directly from lothar but that meant driving out there one weekend but it was always on the cards.

I agree with Paul that people need to try these and thus far in the UK almost nobody knows anything about the speedjumper, let alone been on them.
That said, I think the majority of bockers are youngsters and really only those with jobs or with parents who have money to burn are really going to consider purchasing these, regardless of their great performance.

Offline webmaster

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2010, 08:07:16 PM »
Excuse the typo's on mobile, my only issue is I had more interest in Powerskips before we started selling them, invested in a lot of models only to be stuck with the stock for a very long time, don't get me wrong the frame quality & mechanism on these are fantastic the wording was deliberate as that's the reason many give as the reason why they would not buy the sj version which is justified too.

Locky. U didn't answer all the questions though, are u more likely to drive down to Lothar or buy a Projump branded one? Also how soon were u looking at?

Offline Locky

• Elite Member
    • Welsh Bockers
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2010, 08:16:09 PM »
sorry mum!

Yes, but not a large one at all

No but some people would pay for it. I feel the same way about skips but their lack of warranty says alot about their faith in their product. Would the speedjumpers offer a warranty?

Yes, I planned on getting a pair by April/May 2011 anyway.

Possibly. I dont really want a pair before spring time but I have no problem putting down a deposit for one.

5. Are you an idiot?
Yes.

Offline webmaster

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2010, 08:20:09 PM »
So do I have this right only idiots would buy them......    :p

Offline K-rock

• SkyHigh
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2010, 08:21:45 PM »
I agree with Locky that most people wont have heard of or been on the SJ's. I've seen videos of them on facebook and they are impressive. I'm getting work on my stils and it isn't bad pay, but I can't see the price meeting the improvement. For what i get on the exos, id want twice that on the SJ's. I'm not about to pay £800 for a pair of stlts that MAY get me an extra foot of height. I'd wanna be getting 10ft from 90KG springs for that price difference.

Bock 'n' Roll!!

Offline dark-castles2

• PJF Contributor
  • Elite Member
  • A-F-RO!
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2010, 08:26:31 PM »
Naz, I agree with Locky about warranty.
I was told by Lothar that Germany has a 2 year warranty system, which sound amazing, if this is available in the UK I would be more willing to pay out more for a decent set
DC

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Member
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2010, 08:28:50 PM »
Looking at this from a purely what you get extra point of veiw I tried to break it down

Now not allowing for any spare parts you get after a pair of EXO Pro's the sums are

EXO Pro £209
SJ £1050 for the Professional

That leaves just over £800 to account for

The fastening methoud for the cuffs looks the same as on the EXO (Sorry if I am wrong)

So what you are getting for your money is
2 Machined frames (very nicely designed and machined) made from one of the better alloys HE30 or better
2 Support brackets (Bit under the foot to the spring)
2 Sets of footplates (very nice ones)
2 brackets (on the springs but they do look the same as EXO's)

Now you could probably have that lot machined up at a local shop cheeper if you were having a dozen or so done but they have got to make a profit

I personally wouldn't buy them at that price as I think that EXO's are a good enough product for my skills  :Claugh: and they would be a vanity buy for me
And after all I would make my own custom set as I have all the machinery I need to do so and could then personalise them and they would be unique  :Cbiggrin:

I think that for a few people they would be worth the price as their skills would justify the cost (What price performance)

So in summary

Would I buy them --No
Do I think they would sell-- Yes in very limited quantities to an elite few like Paul, Greg, Carl, Locky etc

So yes it would be nice to see them over here and would make the range complete as Skip 720's really don't work

And finally they do look pretty don't they  :Claugh:

Jason  :Hoofies2: :CGEEK:

Ps I bet the warranty dosen't cover springs  :Claugh:

Offline XDvandalDJ

• XD
    • XD Bockers
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2010, 09:12:26 PM »
I see mention of the Exos and these having the same hooves. Though looking at the pictures from your shop, and of the SJ themselves they look very different to me.

Now looking at that. It's a solid thick piece of aluminum. The exos pictured in the shop use just rubber hooves.

Now here's a glance at a couple portions of the frame.

Check out those bolts. From what was explained to me. You just need one tool to adjust them.

I dunno I've been following this brand since late 2008. Even when flying locust copied the model thats currently the olympics or the exos from a picture of speedjumper stilts. That they posted in an ancient thread about them.

From what I've read, from people I've talked with thats actually used them. They sound great. It'd be awful to see a region of bockers not be able to have access to them like the states.

Leader of the

Offline Paul-Self

• EA Bocker
  • Elite Member
    • EA Bockers
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2010, 09:23:54 PM »
Heres the few images i have of me using them these were the Quantums which were a fair bit out of my weight range heres the results. Unfortunatly i didnt get any pictures of me on the Pros ( which were for my weight range ) but heres a rough look at the stilts! and the power behind them.

As everyone who was their will explain their was a moment wen i was bouncing down the hall on the pros and had most of the hall staring at the incredible height i was getting ive only had a quick go on the Exos so cant really give a detailed comparison at the moment but im a big fan of these stilts.

« Last Edit: November 16, 2010, 09:27:05 PM by Paul-Self »

Offline Hammy

• Voted RR's Group Clown
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2010, 09:35:24 PM »
these are awsome

Offline Locky

• Elite Member
    • Welsh Bockers
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2010, 09:48:55 PM »
This may not be relevant and perhaps its already been done here but we seem to be talking about stuff where not many people have the answers.

Lothar made these babies and priced them appropriately, even if you may not agree with that. The performance result was much better than any stilt. What I would like to see is a nice clean HD video of one person jumping on flyinglocust stilts and then the same person jumping on the SJ. No tricks, no flips, just jumping on the spot and for both videos to be shot at the same location with a camera on a tripod.
I know this might be asking the impossible but without actually strapping on a pair of SJ, this for me is the next best thing to see if they do as they say.
Personally, for a grand, I was willing to go with Lothars word and just get them. But we're talking about having a uk market for these things.

Offline sprog

• Elite Member
  • Not enough time in the day to bock anymore...
    • The Jurassic Jumpers
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2010, 10:43:48 PM »
I'M ALIVE :Cbiggrin:
And this is probably the only post I shall make before the end of the year. Locky asked me about this on facebook so thought I'd throw in my 2 cents.

Definately, it would be incredibly small but it's there. Personally I wouldn't shell out the money for them as I simply wouldn't be able to afford to, but I can see a few people doing so.

No, it's insane. There's been a rise in costs over the entire market but that kind of jump is madness. I'd be interested in seeing a definitive list of every part in each model, and which parts are the same and compatible. I'm kind of wondering if it would be cheaper to buy a pair of Pro-Jump Exos, import the spare parts that are needed for the SJ's, and then build them yourself.

No. I have other priorities money-wise (and sadly time wise at the moment too), and quite frankly my current stilts are holding up fine and I have enough spare parts to last me another few years yet.

See above.